Dwarf puffers: food, #/gal, and friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aislinn3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 4 dwarf puffers in a 20L tank. I have read that they require 5gal/fish but it seems like an awful lot of extra space in there for the peanuts and I believe the recommended fish/gal is more of a territory thing as opposed to a waste issue. Does anyone have any experience with these littles as far as inches per gal go? Would it be OK to add a few more (I would like to add 2-3).

Also, I have been curious as to their feeding regiment. They are only mildly interested in bloodworms and i dont think they even noticed the brine shrimp I have given them. Im thinking of offering live food but am clueless as to where to start...baby snails? Shrimp? Not to mention I want to be sure they are getting all the nutrition they need and fear that just offering blood worms and brine shrimp are more like treats than meals. Am I wrong?

Lastly, is there ANYTHING I can keep in the tank with them that they wont mess with and will help clean? I do weekly cleaning anyway but it would be nice to have a cleaning buddy in the sand based tank I have them in.

Thanks for any help/advice in advance :)

Sorry for wasting a thread on this topic, just realized there is a profile thread for them :)

I honestly wouldn't add anymore. If anything I'd remove the current 3. Any chance you could upgrade to a 20g? If you want 7 I would do 35g tank. Pm terrance since he is the puffer expert on here ;)

I have since moved them to s 20 long and am down to 3. The gen consensus recommends only keeping one as well and I no longer wish to add more. I have also discovered their love for snails, and have in turn decided to not try to find them tank mates :)

ForumRunner_20130716_085857.jpg

Back
Top Bottom