Dwarf puffers not in stock through LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drm315

Aquarium Advice Activist
These are not currently in stock at my lfs. Now that my cycle is complete, I would like to order these, but since I can't get them locally, does anyone have any experience with online companies or forums where I could buy about three of them?

I would think so, since its overnight shipping.

It's the only place that I buy fish from outside of my LFS.

You could ask your lfs to order them for you to go along with their next shipment. My lfs does that for people.

They like a mature, well planted tank but it's your money... msjinxed/ Rachel oleaery sent me some quality fish a while back.

They like a mature, well planted tank but it's your money... msjinxed/ Rachel oleaery sent me some quality fish a while back.

My tank is now cycled and has lots of live plants and driftwood. I've had them in the past - they won't be new to me.

Attachments

• tank61817.jpg
    tank61817.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 167
Upscale Aquatics in Huntersville, NC is going to order them for me and I feel much more comfortable getting them there. Their website looks fantastic and I have read really good reviews about them! They are one and a half hours away from me, but it's worth it to get quality stock! So - the question is - how many should I get for my 28 gallon tank? I'm thinking 4-5..... :)

http://upscaleaquatics.weebly.com/gallery.html

Sounds about right, make sure they treat for parasites and such as they're most probably/definitely wc. If not you should probably definitely do it yourself. That's why I recommended Rachel, she takes care of that on her end with most stock.

Sounds about right, make sure they treat for parasites and such as they're most probably/definitely wc. If not you should probably definitely do it yourself. That's why I recommended Rachel, she takes care of that on her end with most stock.

I couldn't find her email address anywhere on her website, or I would have contacted her first. I will ask them if they treat for parasites or if they are wild caught. I have a feeling treating for parasites may be tricky and it sounds daunting....So, treating them for parasites if they don't have them isn't going to harm them? Also, is treating them in the tank I've just cycled going to ruin my cycle? I know some medicines do.

Pretty sure the parasites meds do a number on the cycle, and plants. Not positive though. You can set up a quarantine, easy for those little guys, a 1 gal Tupperware container or something. I'd just use a gallon of Poland spring water and an airstone, drop the right on the jug!

If anyone has dealt with this situation personally, I'd really appreciate the advice. What I'm reading is that the best method is NOT to treat the water, but to treat the food they are eating (let the food soak in the wormer for a few minutes before feeding) and I'm also reading that doing it that way does not harm the BB or the plants.

So...any advice from anyone who has personally dealt with deworming dwarf puffers would be greatly appreciated! :)

I've read to soak their food in Prazipro, but I can't find any true instructions on how much to use? Drs. Foster and Smith has the product, but it's advertised mainly as a medication to treat the tank with.

I have treated my puffer tank with PraziPro both times I bought them (three at a time) with no negative effect on the cycle.

We still lost one to whirling disease within days of bringing it home, but that takes 80 days to show symptoms, so the fish was already past the point of successful treatment when we bought it.

I have treated my puffer tank with PraziPro both times I bought them (three at a time) with no negative effect on the cycle.

We still lost one to whirling disease within days of bringing it home, but that takes 80 days to show symptoms, so the fish was already past the point of successful treatment when we bought it.

Thanks so much for replying!! So, you treated the water essentially and didn't soak their food before feeding it to them?

The directions on the Drs. Foster and Smith page say one teaspoon per 20 gallons. I have a 28 gallon tank. How much over one teaspoon would you go?... 1.5 tsp?

Back
Top Bottom