Dwarf Rainbowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rainbows don't require a school like tetras and other things. They'll do fine in a pair. I have a pair of dwarfs in my 55g tank and they are perfectly happy.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Rainbows have such a high schooling drive that they will try schooling with other species if there aren't enough of their own. Just because your pair hasn't died doesn't mean they are happy. Once you've kept a large school of rainbows, you would never consider getting just 2.

The blue eye rainbows are definitely the best choice for a 29 gallon tank, whether it be furcatas, threadfins, celebes, etc.

So, I should wait until my lfs has more than 3. I'm pretty sure they only have 2 females and 1 male?

You can get 3 to start. I mean, you don't want to add too many fish at once.

Rainbows are best kept in schools that are either all male, all female, or a 1m:2-3F ratio. I suggest getting a mix, so you can see their daily spawning ritual.

I had kept my praecox in a 45 (36 inches long), and ultimately moved them to a 4 foot tank. I really don't think a 29 (30 inches long) is enough space for such an active schooling fish. Mine are a couple years old - the males are about 3 inches, females are 2 - 2.5 inches.

Back
Top Bottom