Dwarf Rainbowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amesdrew

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had any experience with these fish???

I was just looking online and came across this fish, I really like them but I am not sure they are going to be right for me. I have a 29 gal. with an aquaclear 50.

I want to stock the tank with: FIRST

5 Serpae Tetras (currently have 3)
Breeding pair of German Blue Rams (only have the female)
3 zipper loaches
Clown Pleco

And possibly...

If the rainbowfish are going in I am going to get 5. They are an afterthought, because I want to make sure the fish I have right now are going to be ok. AqAdvisor says it is 119% stocked with the rainbowfish and I have heard they are conservative. HOW conservative?

This isn't going to happen tomorrow, it is just a light I want to see at the end of the tunnel. IS IT POSSIBLE??

Drew

Which species are you referring to when you say "dwarf rainbow"? I have Praecox rainbows AKA dwarf neon rainbows. They're cool fish, but they still get about 4" long. They're only dwarf compared to other rainbow species, some of which get 8"+. They're fast swimmers and get a little cramped in a 29g.

From a bioload standpoint , I think you'd have no problem stocking all the fish you listed. Spacewise, you'll be cramped with a breeding pair of rams. They get territorial.

For what it's worth, AqAdvisor told me my 29g was 300% overstocked when I had more fish in it. My nitrates never got over 10ppm between weekly water changes. I think it's a bit too conservative.

The neon dwarf rainbow was what I was talking about, the research I was doing was telling me they would reach 2 inches. If they do reach 4 I agree they would definitly be cramped.

Thanks for the info. Guess I might try to find another group of fish or just add larger numbers.

Yeah, big males hit 4" long and about 2" tall. The females are shorter, but just about as long. There are other smaller species of rainbows.

That is what I was wanting. I will look into those, I just know my lfs has the neon dwarfs and a few other larger rainbows, but I have never seen the threadfins.

I was drawn to the blue color of the neon dwarf rainbows, they would contrast to the serpae's so well.

I just saw them, they are awesome. I also saw the gertrude rainbowfish. Apparently those are even a little bit smaller and they are like a guppy. I think either of those would be fun to keep. I will keep my eyes peeled after I add the other fish!

I agree. With the rainbows with bigger fins, will they clash with the ram pair?

I know you aren't supposed to do cichlids with similar cichlids. I just don't want the big fins to be a trigger of aggression.

Rainbows don't require a school like tetras and other things. They'll do fine in a pair. I have a pair of dwarfs in my 55g tank and they are perfectly happy.

They do fine in pairs? everything I have read says 5+ but if I could have a pair that would solve the overcrowding problem. And yes, the gertrudes might be my favorite choice also! They are tiny though, I may need a big group of those..

Hey, just went to the fish store and they do have gertrude rainbowfish. However, I didn't purchase any though... they were really tiny, but I haven't made my serpae group bigger. (they didn't look healthy) And they said I could go in the backroom next time I come in to pick out my new MALE RAM!

I can't wait, all i need now is a good heavier sand to make a bed.

I keep praecox rainbowfish with electric blue and german blue rams, and they do just fine. I have kept them for awhile and have never had one reach four inches in size. I did have one that reached about 3 inches that I thought might be a hybrid, but the rest all seem to stay around 2 inches.

I love them and have seven in my tank. Their colors are gorgeous....a brilliant blue body with itty bitty red (male) or yellow (female) fins. They enjoy swimming together in a group from one end of my 55 to the other. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

I've had my half-dozen praecox for about 2 years now, and they're 2" long. Happy, healthy, and they acknowledge people outside the glass; a nice species. I suppose if kept in a large tank and overfed they'd get larger (and they'll beg for food most of the day, so overfeeding is a risk).

Seems like there are a lot of fish already in that tank of yours though; their rapid activity and competition for food might put off some other fish.

That is good to know, and I do like the praecox rainbows, but their energy might be to much for the tank. My lfs actually has a show tank dedicated to rainbows and barbs, it is fantastic. (70 gal though)With that being said the threadfins or gertrude will probably be my choice.

Hopefully they are tough like guppies though, guess I'll find out soon!

Good luck with your choices. The one large LFS here in Columbus has a tank with a few Denison's rainbows (edit: I've seen them labeled variously as rainbows or barbs)... very striking fish, would be great to have but those get to about 6".

I took a second look at my praecox just now... the larger males are maybe 2 1/4" counting just the body, bigger than I'd thought. Hmm.

Back
Top Bottom