Dwarf Sunset Gourami Vandals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fintastic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Purchased two Dwarf Sunset Gouramis yesterday. By this evening, they have destroyed about half the plants in the tank, tearing them from the substrate!

No one at the fish shop warned me about this behaviour.

Any thoughts? Advice?

Hi firstly they could be a pair? I have the same fish and i was advised to get 6 as they like there own company and have had know problems at all:) My tank is well planted but the plants are well established and not easily 'vandalised'

Many thanks. Will look into get another two (tank is only 64 litre/16 gallon) and see if perhaps they need a bit more feed.

i would suggest that they might be hungry. i don't think they feed much at the fish store. i have 7 dwarf gouramis and none of them bother any of my plants. feed maybe twice a day for a few days but Don't over feed. feed only what they will eat in a couple of minutes. good luck. :)

Many thanks. Will look into get another two (tank is only 64 litre/16 gallon) and see if perhaps they need a bit more feed.
Woah! 16 gallons isn't enough for 4 dg IMO. Thats only 4 gallons per fish, and I think you will have problems if you put more of them in there. I have never heard of dg ripping up plants before, so this is new to me. But, I would guess that maybe they are feeling territorial. Thats just a guess though. IMO, maybe try to give them some time to adjust before adding more. The sunset is just a color variation of the dg, and I would caution keeping them in too close of quarters because fights can break out if they do not have enough space IMO.

Thanks to you all. Good to get your opininond and experience. Two makes sense from the tank size perspective. Wouldn't increase unless advised to do so and gut tells me this is hunger and/ territorial. Two males (they won't sell females as they get bullied by males). They only warned about one male picking on the other and so far none of that. Have upped feed slightly, but they are so shy they only join the tetras once flake had been in tank for a couple of minutes. Can't segregate the tetras so the Gouramis will need to adjust. Patience me thinks. Thanks again.

Usually they rip up plants to establish territories or make bubble nests. My male has already established a territory up above behind the plants I have and is nipping of bits of each of the ones closest near him to surround himself in a sort of home, I guess.

Great insight. I've left some of the damage floating to see if that will satisfy. May buy some floating plants as a sacrifice!?

Back
Top Bottom