DYED FISH!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wanted to know peoples opinions on this matter as I am 100% against it and there ha sbeen alot of discusion about in one of the magazines over here in the UK. I wanted to know what the situation is in the US.

Steve- I think it's a universal thing between fish lovers of any country. I have never heard of any person of any country say that they LOVE the painted fish more than a non-painted. It's cruel and wrong and I think everyone would adree.

A cruel and totally unnecessary process. Painted Fish website

It is a fact that people for whatever their reasons want these types of fish. Most of the time, they don't know that the fish has been dyed prior to purchase. Even when the LFS are honest and place the label on them, they don't go into any details about what "painted" means.

Jchillin said:
A cruel and totally unnecessary process. Painted Fish website

It is a fact that people for whatever their reasons want these types of fish. Most of the time, they don't know that the fish has been dyed prior to purchase. Even when the LFS are honest and place the label on them, they don't go into any details about what "painted" means.
WOW I checked out the web page and looked at all the different types of dyed fish, WOW I have never even heard, let alone see of them, except for the painted glassfish and a painted zebra danio. never would buy either of them.
I have noticed parrot fish more and more, with very bright colors. what is there "natural color"? I would never buy them either because I do not support hybrids...

One of the LFS in my area had a tank of bright HOT PINK fish - its been a while - can't remember what exactly they were - I think they were some kind of tetra. ANYWAY - there was a sign on the tank that said, "These are not painted - they are genetically enhanced." As if that was OK or more acceptable in some way - but from what I've read- thats not good either. What is WRONG with people that they cannot just enjoy a fish's natural beauty? Isn't that the point of our hobby?
*sigh* ~stepping off my soap box~

Parrots are naturally a gray coloration when they are young. Mine then turned yellow and ultimately an orangish coloration. Very beautiful is they are kept in a tank with good water quality.

The "un-natural" colors are pink, green, purple, blue, and so on.

Besides the whole cruelty issue, I think dying makes fish look fake, gaudy, and tacky - like certain plastic lawn ornaments.

There are so many brightly colored FW fish (killifish, guppies, bettas, African cichlids, rainbowfish) to name a few. If you want even more funkadelic patterns and colors, there's the SW side of the hobby. Why anyone would think that dying could even come close to what is already available from nature is beyond me.

Any color that looks flourescent or unnaturally bright is a dyed color for a parrot. Sadly, they are sometimes even dyed orange just so they will look like a brighter version of the natural color.

I agree that it is a universal thing. I also think that the biggest problem is the average person that goes into the lfs and sees these fish, thinks they are so cool. They have no clue. Education will be the only way to stop this practice. Unfortunately many people consider fish throw away pets and it isn't likely to stop in my lifetime. I've been at the lfs when kids are in with their parents for example and they see the painted fish, and all you hear is "mommy can I get one? They are so pretty." It's barbaric to me. I tell every fish store owner, worker, and people gawking in the tanks what dying and tattooing fish really is. If it changes only 1 person's mind, it's worth getting on my soap box.

Painting/dying is cruel and completely unnecessary. The pictures on that site are horrible.

It's important to make the distinction between the genetically altered fish and the painted fish, though. The fish that are genetically altered do not suffer in any way, and the genetic change does not change their health, quality of life, or lifespan in any way. These fish were originally developed for environmental research, and when you purchase them a portion of the money goes to support that research. It is very different from painting.

http://www.aquascapeonline.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=37

Thanks for the link and showing the difference fearlessfish. The problem is, the research portion blended into the painting and skewed the hobby causing massive confusion. If someone saw a tank of the zebra's and wanted to take a short-cut, they would ultimately die them to appear similar and the uninformed winds up buying precisely the very fish that we want to avoid.

Have any of u guys ever seen wild, un-bred guppies, they are so beautifully, naturally bright.

I wont buy from a store that sells dyed fish.

It's just plain stupid!

The "Jellybean Parrots" make me ssooo sad, not only are they painted, but people buy them thinking their cute & little, not knowing they do get bigger.

I had a parrotfish for about 6yrs or so. It was the neatest thing, orange w/ black patches & light blue spots on it's fins. Never seen another one like it.

Back
Top Bottom