dyed fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigmac1878

Aquarium Advice Activist
i was reading a post on another forum yesterday which related to dye-ing fish and the various processes of doing so. i've also just read a post on this forum that also metioned dye-ing. this is not a practice that i'd heard of before and am appalled by it. my questions therefore

1. can ANY fish be dyed?
2. if not, which ones are?

i ask because i want to avoid buying such fish as i don't wish to support animal cruelty.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=129613

this is where i read about it.

glass fish. I have one that I addopted from Petco. The life of the fish is significantly reduced. I would never buy one...Its a pretty messed up procedure.

Ugh, I saw the most horrible thing today ... they called them "Tatoo Parrots" ... they were Parrotfish with painted hugh red lips and "I *heartshape* U" on their sides. I was HORRIFIED. I have no idea how they do this "tatooing" but it cannot be a pleasant experience for the fish.

i was just reading the above posts about the dyed glass fish,i thought it was a coincidence that today i was at my lfs talking to the owner about this procedure and he was telling me that they are trying to bring a new law out to stop this happening because of the cruelty.they also want people to stop selling them.they just want them to sell them as they are.

I always thought painted glass fish were the coolest and planned on having a school in my 10g.

After reading the forums it really changed my mind. People would be up in arms if we started dying cats bright pink/green (not hair color either).

I think its just glass fish, they put the fish in a caustic liquid to remove the slime coat and prevent it from going back, then inject the fish with dye. It makes the dye stay there longer but it also makes them vulnerable to all kinds of diseases and in the end kills them. And it has to be reaaally painful.

I'll bet that nearly everyone who buys a dyed fish has no idea and thinks they're naturally colored. I'll also bet that if people knew how fish are dyed, they would not buy them in the first place. I place the blame squarely on the lfs owners that choose to make a buck this way.

This site describes the various ways fish are dyed and the common species used:
http://www.deathbydyeing.org/

Some additional info:
Glofish zebra danios are NOT dyed. They are genetically modified with a fluorescent protein gene naturally found in some sea anemones.

Bettas, killifish, German blue rams, and fancy guppies are NOT dyed. They look amazing naturally!

One of the lfs here has 'Fruit Tetras' ranging from yellow, blue, green, and orange. I was going to pick up a nice looking Gold Gourami from this store until I saw these dyed fish. I've yet to see the fish with message (I love you) on them and I personally hope to keep it that way. Poor fish....

Any fish CAN be dyed. Whether they do it or not, that is debatable. There are many types of Tetras, parrots, gouramis, etc, that are dyed. Just be cautious and look for natural coloration.

QTOFFER, I am sure you are very correct. I had never heard of these procedures before I came to AA. My girlfriend wanted a couple painted glass fish and I had to explain to her what it was thanks to people from AA. It is disgusting that they are sold to innocent people that do not know what they are buying.

QTOFFER said:
I'll bet that nearly everyone who buys a dyed fish has no idea and thinks they're naturally colored.

Probably true with most of them, but I saw some "Lipstick Parrot" fish yesterday that were extremely obvious. One had 3 stripes on the side that looked like someone used a big marker to draw, and one had a big red heart on it.

It kinda made me sick to see it, and I'd certainly never buy one ... but now that I think about it ... if an alien race took over the planet and started selling people as pets, would it really be much worse if they were tattooing silly messages on us? I mean, sure, we might get hepatitis and die sooner, but it probably wouldn't be my biggest concern.

I guess I'm just thinking that in the long run, all these fish are treated pretty badly, and a dyed fish that makes it into a good home is probably better off than the average fish who rots in the LFS then who knows what happens to it.

The ones I"m aware of are:

'fruit tetra' - blueberry, strawberry, etc. (although Lemon Tetra are legit)
the painted glass fish
and blood parrot cichlids/jellybean cichlids.

painted glass fish are injected with dye. fruit tetra and blood parrots/jellys are dipped in acid baths and t hen soaked in dye.

The really sad thing is that jelly bean cichlids are blood parrots that have been bred to have no rear finnage...so they look like a jelly bean. they can barely swim around. very cruel.

However the zebra danios that have a red stripe and glow...those are genetically engineered, so technically they are humane.

malkore said:
.... fruit tetra and blood parrots/jellys are dipped in acid baths and t hen soaked in dye.

The really sad thing is that jelly bean cichlids are blood parrots that have been bred to have no rear finnage...so they look like a jelly bean. they can barely swim around. very cruel

This makes my blood BOIL !!!! I cannot believe the stuff that can be "gotten away with". I wonder if anyone has spoken to the SPCA about these practices. I'm ready to start a petition if it hasn't already been done.

malkore said:
However the zebra danios that have a red stripe and glow...those are genetically engineered, so technically they are humane.

Those would be the "Glofish" I see at Pets Supplies and the occasional LFS correct? At $7 each they are quite expensive.

My local Petland paints Tetras in holiday colors. I've seen easter pastels, haloween, and valentines day. I feel so sorry for them, but I don't buy them. If you buy a fish like that, it only encourages the store to get more to replace it. Petland actually puts a notice on the tag that says "Color is artificial, it will fade over time" so I know which ones not to buy. If I had more choices in this city, I wouldn't shop there at all.

joannde said:
This makes my blood BOIL !!!! I cannot believe the stuff that can be "gotten away with". I wonder if anyone has spoken to the SPCA about these practices. I'm ready to start a petition if it hasn't already been done.

Cruelty to animals laws generally do not apply to reptiles and never apply to fish, insects, or arachnids. The SPCA knows, there is nothing they can do about it.

There is also a Gourami out there (Can't remember what it's called) it's white and has bright spots painted on it.

Apparently in Hong Kong you can get 'Customised' fish, so you can choose what you want written on the fish. Makes me very, very mad.

I can't believe it's legal to do this to fish!!!

I'm seeing fruitty Tetras in all kinds of fish stores here in British Columbia. There should be laws against this kind of thing.

I once dropped a hint to an employer of a pet store and told him about deathbydyeing.org He seemed rather interested but hopefully the company takes the hint and stops buying the dyed fish.

Anyone else starts a petition, please let me know where it is.
Here's mine

Burks said:
malkore said:

Those would be the "Glofish" I see at Pets Supplies and the occasional LFS correct? At $7 each they are quite expensive.

yep, the 'glofish' danios are genetically engineered, so I wouldn't call them inhumane...just un-necessarily expensive ;)

http://www.firsttankguide.net/painted.php

and of course

http://www.deathbydyeing.org/

Its very well known...but believe it or not, even PeTA isn't that hot to defend fish rights. Dolphins, whales (mammals) and certain larger fish gain their respect.

Back
Top Bottom