Dying fish -- HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inklover82

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently, I have lost about 20 of my fish, and we can't figure out why.

We bought some new fish from Petsmart and the next morning when we got up, a bunch of our fish were dead.

Two days before that, we had changed the water, and our filters, like we do every month and our levers were great, and then all of a sudden our fish started dying.

Once that had happened, I took most of my fish out, did a partial water change. Let it filter for 6 or so hours, then did another one. My levels again were normal, and I got up this morning and found another 2 dead fish.

Does anyone have any clue to what I could/should do that could help? I don't want to lose anymore fish!! As it is I can't replace my fire eel that I lost and I'm quite sad about that. :bawl:

You changed your filter? As in, you discarded your media in exchange for new stuff?

Your filter is full of BB (beneficial bacteria) which break down ammonia to nitrites and eventually nitrates (which are removed via water changes).

Taking the fish out while you do a PWC (partial water change) is going to stress out fish that are already being poisoned by the apparent build up of toxins.

You should get a water test kit, that way you can test and measure the toxic build ups that a cycling tank has.

Keep changing around 50% of the water every 2 days just to keep the toxins down until you can get a test kit.

Make sure you condition the water to removed toxins and heavy metals that will harm your fish.

Read this!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

Recently, I have lost about 20 of my fish, and we can't figure out why.

We bought some new fish from Petsmart and the next morning when we got up, a bunch of our fish were dead.

Two days before that, we had changed the water, and our filters, like we do every month and our levers were great, and then all of a sudden our fish started dying.

Once that had happened, I took most of my fish out, did a partial water change. Let it filter for 6 or so hours, then did another one. My levels again were normal, and I got up this morning and found another 2 dead fish.

Does anyone have any clue to what I could/should do that could help? I don't want to lose anymore fish!! As it is I can't replace my fire eel that I lost and I'm quite sad about that. :bawl:

IMO the fish at petsmart can be fairly sickly. With your situation I think that the fish you bought recently were disease cariers and infected the entire tank. I would buy some parasite stuff and treat the tank. ParasiteGuard tablets work great for me. If the filter change is a regular thing I don't see why that would have such an affect in the fish all of a sudden. Sorry about your loss(es). I've been there as well. :'(

IMO the fish at petsmart can be fairly sickly. With your situation I think that the fish you bought recently were disease cariers and infected the entire tank. I would buy some parasite stuff and treat the tank. ParasiteGuard tablets work great for me. If the filter change is a regular thing I don't see why that would have such an affect in the fish all of a sudden. Sorry about your loss(es). I've been there as well. :'(

Did you not see the part where they say they change the filter every month?

Did you not see the part where they say they change the filter every month?

No, I did. I just think though that if they have been changing it every month it would not kill so many fish at once if there had not been any previous problems.

No, I did. I just think though that if they have been changing it every month it would not kill so many fish at once if there had not been any previous problems.

Well they say they change the filter and water every month.

So the levels are building and building, I assume the ammo will be almost off the chart.

Sickness could be involved too but the toxin levels are my first suspect really.

Well they say they change the filter and water every month. So the levels are building and building, I assume the ammo will be almost off the chart. Sickness could be involved too but the toxin levels are my first suspect really.

I would've gone that route too, but she said that her/his levels were good. What were the levels exactly ink lover? Did the tests read for a cycled tank?

Your story is quite common around here, unfortunately.

1. Aquarium filter manufacturers need to stop providing instructions to change the filter media monthly.

2. Pet shops need to educate consumers on the cycling process, and the different options to going about it.

3. Aquarists need to spend a fair amount of time researching how to keep fish successfully. Buying a tank, filling it with water and adding fish will not cut it, as many people go on to learn.

If all that's been said, was done, there would be a whole heck of a lot of fish spared from death.

David

Your story is quite common around here, unfortunately.

1. Aquarium filter manufacturers need to stop providing instructions to change the filter media monthly.

2. Pet shops need to educate consumers on the cycling process, and the different options to going about it.

3. Aquarists need to spend a fair amount of time researching how to keep fish successfully. Buying a tank, filling it with water and adding fish will not cut it, as many people go on to learn.

If all that's been said, was done, there would be a whole heck of a lot of fish spared from death.

David

+1 to this.. You possibly are causing your tank to not be fully cycled each month. If your remove the media and do a WC to only beneficial bacteria is the substrate. If you are also cleaning that then you are removing even more. So each time you put your fish back you're adding them to a uncycled tank. (Pretty much)

Here are my questions:

1. How many gallons is the tank?
2. What else is in the tank?
3. Did you fully cycle your tank originally?

Ya I agree the tank is never going to cycle changing the filter once a month! Just leave the filter alone and after your tank cycles do your 25percent W/C once a week.

Your biggest mistake I feel though was buying fish from petco or petsmart! Especially when you had a healthy fire eel why would you risk it? most of the time the fish from those chain stores are sick and uncared for. I would recomend buying online! I've had great luck ordering online...hope this helps good luck to ya

Back
Top Bottom