Dying versus sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tinafina

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone can tell me if you can differentiate a fish who is very
Sick or dying a slow death?

Diagnosing Fish Sicknesses

Good morning Tina...

It's hard for us amatures to tell what's wrong with our fish. They be actually sick or just lithargic.

I never try to treat my tanks with chemicals, so the best natural remedy is to start an aggressive water change schedule for the next ten days or so. Every two to three days, change out half the water in your tank and raise the temperature of the water a few degrees, 80 to 82 degrees should be sufficient.

Many times we think there's something wrong with the fish when there really isn't. The combination of getting the tank water extremely clean and a little warmth will often perk up the fish.

B

Hi B...
I been dealing with a sick f8 puffer ever since I purchased him. He has a fungus growing on tail. It's to the point where it's taking over and he cannot swim. He is TIRED- mouth is always open now.

image-4223644793.jpg

I just dont know what to do. 

You just have to use your best judgment. With small fish it can be hard to diagnose and even harder to treat sick fish, so if they are persistent with their issue, even after treatments, euthanizing them may be the only feasible route at some point.

he died. I should of just done it yesterday..

I was treating the water with

View attachment 55555

Would it be safe to add new fish after a 25% WC? I am new to aquatics. And don't know what to do. Is there a book like aquariums for dummies?

The first thing to do is read up on the nitrogen cycle. Often times in new tanks, issues stem from the toxin buildup in an uncycled tank. The toxins, even if they don't damage the fish outright, if allowed to accumulate can stress the fish to where they start showing symptoms of all kinds of other issues.

Here's a good article. You may also consider doing a fishless cycle, which there is an article for as well.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Sorry about your fish. :( The info Jeta gave you is great. If it's a new tank it's likely not properly cycled and the toxins can build up quickly if daily testing and water changes aren't performed. What size tank is it and are there any other fish left? Do you have a test kit?

Starting with a 10gallon.
1 neon tetra
1 rainbow fish
Fresh plants.
My kit is in the mail from
Amazon.

Tinafina said:
Starting with a 10gallon.
1 neon tetra
1 rainbow fish
Fresh plants.
My kit is in the mail from
Amazon.

The rainbow and neon is doing great(as it seems) the aquarium shop told me all 3 of those fishes would be fine together. Wrong!!
Learning so much as days go by.

No worries Tina.

You're getting a new setup, just put it together and start your cycle. You can figure out what fish you want while it is cycling. It takes a while to cycle.

There's a decent amount of options in a 10g tank, read up on other posts about "10g stocking" and use google.

Keep us updated on your process, but try to control yourself and not buy more fish before the cycle is over. It is MUCH harder to do a Fish-in cycle than it is to do a fishless cycle. IF you decide to go buy fish, you'll be doing water changes every day, or even twice a day for 30+ days.

ALSO: Read the links in Librarygirls sig

Back
Top Bottom