Easiest Fish to Keep - new 55 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You shouldn't skimp on filtration for any fish.
What exactly are you interested in?
Your being a little confusing.
Do you or do you not want cichlids? If not we can stop talking about them.
Buy a filter rated to filter 2 or more times an hour of your tanks volume. That will be enough for most community fish. Weekly water changes are unavoidable in any tank no matter if the fish are 'hardy' or 'easy' to care for.

No, what I mean is that their care is expensive. You can't go cheap on filtration, and if you do, they require even larger water changes,as if they were not crazy enough.

no offense but if you think water changes are 'crazy' and looking to take the cheap way out of things fish keeping may not be the hobby for you

but thats just my opinion

No I mean emptying 25 gallons of water every 5 days is... alot...

and to Mumma of Two - I meant that I need a canister and something like an aquaclear... AT LEAST. I can get two Tetra or aqueon filters, but $160 is... plenty... that's an easy way to put it.

Attention all Aquarium Advice members! I want a community tank. Yes, I did hear you guy's suggestions from earlier, I just want a few more opinions...

phoenixkiller said:
Attention all Aquarium Advice members! I want a community tank. Yes, I did hear you guy's suggestions from earlier, I just want a few more opinions...

But you were the one who brought up the conversation about chichlids..?

Seems to me that the answer is pretty much clear. A community tank usually has
Tetras
Corys
Rams
Angels
Plecos.

Since angels and rams are chichlids, you dont HAVE many options for a community tank.

I can keep angels, as they are less demanding members of the Cichlidae family, unlike their cousins from Lake Malawi and such. Are rams tolerant of many pH ranges? (yes, I did hear you all say things about Lake Malawi cichlids, but I just want to make sure) They are very pretty. What is required in their care? Do they need a canister filter AND another high-quality filter?

Same way as any other fish. Give them food a couple of times per day and plenty of fresh water and keep up with tank maintenance.

bs6749 said:
Same way as any other fish. Give them food a couple of times per day and plenty of fresh water and keep up with tank maintenance.

Basically ya! Keep up on those water changes, and give them them a regular, healthy diet

The water change thing is similar for most fish, whether they be african, south american, north america, or asian fish. Changing out half of the tank once a week or so is a good schedule, it might seem daunting if you are hauling buckets, but get a python, or DIY one, and it becomes a cake walk.

phoenixkiller said:
Thanks. So sorry if you think I am treating you like an encyclopedia, I don't mean to!

Lol well thats what the site is for, so its all good.

phoenixkiller said:
Thanks. So sorry if you think I am treating you like an encyclopedia, I don't mean to!

Sorry. It's all good. It just pays to do your own research. There are a lot of very knowledgable people here but they don't know it all.:) It's good for you to read information yourself from different resources so you get a sense of what's correct and what's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom