Easy Way to Rinse Off Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cleaning sand? lol, Good luck, I was able to clean sand bed tanks I had using a gravel vac but using a medium to large hair pik at the end to comb thru it without alot of cloudiness.

Not sure I see the point in it. A gravel vac, especially if its a python, is a much much easier way to clean sand.

It's just an easy way to introduce the sand to your tank. As the heavy sand falls out, it gets replaced by water which goes through all the sand in the bottle, pushing the light dust up to the top. When all the sand falls out the bottle is full of the unwanted dust and the sand should be clean. Another plus to this method is it keeps it from ever really clouding up the water.

I've tried using a python on sand before and it didn't work too well even with lower flow (the sand was pretty fine grained though). I do think if you had heavy sand then a python would probably be the easiest method by far.

Basically, I recently decided to get sand for my upcoming 55g mbuna tank (partly because of some of your recent posts :)) and was just brainstorming how I was going to rinse it all off when I saw this video. I think if you used a couple of one gallon bottles this method would be pretty fast and efficient. So ya, just thought it might help someone out sometime.

I see how it works and it looks wonderful, it would also be useful for marine tanks rinsing the araganite is a pain and the sand storm it causes really pisses of the corals. Good post!

Back
Top Bottom