Eclipse 3 stopped working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yesterday I noticed there was no outflow from my Eclipse 3 system's filter.
I think the pump is dead. I have no idea if I have to change part # 11, 12 or 13
check out http://www.marineland.com/products/diagram_ecom/n_ecl_sys3.asp.

I have one betta and a ghost shrimp in there. I am going to run to the petstore after work and see if I can get the parts.

With no filter how often should I do water changes and how much ?

Parts #12 and 13 can be serviced quite easily, and if all else fails it is part #11, which might be pricey - did not check it. First thing to do is to clean out the pump motor housing, the hole where the magnetized spinning flanged wheel goes (impeller). This area gets gunked up and the magnet does not get good contact after a while, and it may be your whole problem. Try to get the "hole" cleaned out as best you can and clean the impeller of any debris that prevents smooth spinning.

After that if it does not work then I'd say the motor is fried and you are looking at #11.

Good luck and keep us posted. How long has this tank been running? I'm interested in the longevity of these motors, as I have several Eclipse tanks and I wonder what their lifespan might be (one is 5-6 years old).

any idea how to open the casing to look at # 12 and 13 ?

I had the eclipse for 2.5 years now..but i have it running for about 1.5 years I would say.

#12 and #13 should pop out from the bottom. Then you can take a bottle brush or something and loosen the debris inside the cavity, followed by a paper towel rolled up longways to capture the gunk, or squirt water in it with a kitchen sink sprayer to rinse it out.

How about that ! ?!??!?!
that worked !
me, Nigel (my betta) and my shrimp are eternally grateful to you !
How do you come up with these ideas ??!?! :):):)
This is just great !
Kudos to you

Yay! Now you are ready for years of trouble-free operation, I hope :wink:

This problem will occur with any kind of power filter that has a magnetic impeller that sits in a well, so that means the penguins and emperors, etc. all can stop working for the same reason. Let's just say I'm no stranger to a gunky impeller, lol :)

Back
Top Bottom