Eclipse Catfish Behavior Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capisderf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am curious and would like to take a poll of how many people have these fish and what their experience has been with them. Mine is about 6 inches and it got it about a year ago when it was about 2 inches. It hides in a fake stump during the day but comes out in the evening right before I turn the light off or right after (this is when I feed my fish) and hunts/eats at night. He has eaten probably $30 worth of fish, platys, guppies, danios, mollies, cherry barbs, several different kinds of tetras, anything that will fit into its mouth and doesn't swim fast. What are your experiences with them?

Any predatory catfish will eat anything it can fit in it's mouth. :( Sad but true. It's no different with any other species of predatory catfish. (a predatory catfish is one with whiskers and a mouth that faces forward)
You'll need to either keep him solo or keep him with semi-aggressive fish and fish of a similar size. :) He'll also get a lot bigger so good luck! I just bought two today, I've never kept them but I've had similar catfish for a long time. They're beautiful fish.

Back
Top Bottom