Eco Complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocktrns

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I have non organic substrate with live plants but I want to buy some Eco Complete substrate. I want to know how I can add new substrate on top of my old substrate with out harming the fish or taking the fish out of the tank.

Just rinse the Eco very well before blending it in.

Here's how I did it. Put a paper towel over a spaghetti strainer in the kitchen sink and turn the water on.

It helps if you do this as part of a PWC.

Unplug or turn off your filtration. Scoop out the Eco (I used a clean measuring cup I use for other fish things) and cover the top with one hand until you are at the bottom of the tank, then dump out slowly and gently unitl you've added all you intend to. You can use your hands to gently mix, but Eco will eventually work its way under the gravel.

If there are "chunks" of anything you don't want getting into your filter, you can cover the intake with a piece of pantyhose or like material until the water clears.

I've done this twice and it didn't hurt the fish a bit. If anyone has an easier way, have at it!

Mudrakers method will work.

However, you're not supposed to rinse eco-complete before putting it in as it will rinse away the good stuff that's in there.

Your other option is to remove 40 or 50% of the water, add the eco-complete, fill the tank, then do another 50% water change. From there, keep a close eye on your ammonia levels for the next 2-3 days and do PWCs as needed.

ok cool thanks,but why would I need to keep an close eye on my ammonia levels?

While beneficial bacteria don't live in the water column in great numbers, changing that much water at once could cause your tank a mini-cycle.

Also, I don't have chlorine in my tap water, which I forget most other people do.

Well also the abundance of nutrients in the eco-complete could cause the ammonia spike as well since it's being mixed in with the tank water.

Well also the abundance of nutrients in the eco-complete could cause the ammonia spike as well since it's being mixed in with the tank water.
So are you sure its safe to change the substrate while the fish are in the tank because I have no where else to put them.

It's risky, don't misunderstand. But it is doable. Just be ready for frequent PWCs if they're needed.

Even putting the fish in a 5g bucket with a heater for a few hours while you actually make the substrate swap will lessen the stress on the fish, so I would consider doing that at least.

ok but is it possible to do the change while the fish are in the tank? because I need the 5 gallon buket to hold the substrate and I need something else to put the old substrate so I cant do that.

Yeah, just go slow and try not to stress the fish too much.

Home Depot sells 5g buckets for $4 btw.
Yeah but I dont have a way of getting there so I'm just worried about the water cloud harming the fish.

Fair enough.

The cloud itself won't hurt the fish, but the side-effects of the cloud could.

Just go slow when you're adding the new substrate it to minimize any stir-up, and be prepared to do PWCs and you'll be fine.

You could do a good vacuuming of the gravel then use a cup to slowly pour the eco complete in. That any clouding.

Back
Top Bottom