Eco-Complete - variations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toker95

Aquarium Advice Regular
Howdy folks,

Short version - Is there different options for Eco-Complete? I know there is a sand, and a gravel, are there others?

Long version - In the process of acquiring all the pieces to get my new 72gl BF going. I searched online for Eco-Complete and found it the cheapest at 'www.thatpetplace.com', however as I was preparing to order, i realized they have a retail store (and are based) out of Lancaster PA. An hour from my home. So, I convinced the wife to go shopping while I took my 6yr old over to browse.

Nonetheless, I acquired my Emperor 400 and some other little goodies, then asked a pesky salesmen (another story) where I could find Eco-Complete. We went looking, and although they had the gravel, he said thats for more brackish/salty tanks and they were out of stock. The specific item was "Eco-Complete African Cichlid substrate".

Is there a difference? As I've only found it referenced here as Eco-Complete. I've only found it referenced online (other than thatpetplace.com) as Eco-Complete. I understand the difference between the sand/gravel, but is there a different product based more for FW planted tanks versus FW/Brackish Cichlid tanks? Off the cuff, I didn't think Cichlids were very brackish fish were they?

Humble me tried to save some shipping costs, and worried i was misled by a salesman...

No, there is one version of Eco-complete, which always contains two grain sizes.

Del at aquariumplants.com did ask on another forum if people would be interested in eco-complete sand. If there was enough interest, they would have some manufactured exclusively for them.

But as it stands, there's only 1 kind of Eco-complete on the market.

Eco-Complete sand?! Finally I can quit running all of my EC gravel through the pulverizer :p I would love to get my hands on some of that. *heading over to AquariumPlants.com to express interest* :)

If you've ever read the EC bags their fancy term for the two grain sizes is 'bio-modal grading'. Wouldn't it be so much easier just to say two grain sizes? Apparently the idea is that the fine grained EC will sift through the larger grain thus providing a porous surface which roots can easily penetrate and a tight sub-surface that traps nutrients and provides greater surface contact with the finer root structures. All I know is that it grows plants great and doesn't look too bad either.

Actually, Carib Sea, the makers of EcoComplete Planted Tank substrate DO make a product called EcoComplete African Cichlid substrate which is not for planted tanks. It is supposed to have bacteria, minerals, etc for a healthy rift lake setup. It comes in two grades, fine and coarse. You can check out their complete line at www.carib-sea.com

Well, here's what they sell... (www.thatpetplace.com)

SAND --> http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/eco-complete/Class//T1/F43+0532+0054/EDP/45766/Itemdy00.aspx

Gravel -->
http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/eco-complete/Class//T1/F43+0532+0055/EDP/45767/Itemdy00.aspx

So, it appears then that Carib Sea did in fact decide to make the sand. I haven't seen an ounce of concerns posted about using Eco-Complete in FW setups of any kind. I take it from your response then that I should have told the salesman where to stuff it and just bought the stuff. Especially at $15.99+tax and no shipping.

Ah well, my wife might be headed up there again this coming weekend, I might have her pick me up 2 bags worth or so. Frustrating. Love the store, absolutely despise the salesman that approached me and tried to upsell me on everything I asked for, and then some. After deciding against the Eco-Complete by his recommendation, he tried to sell me a Fluval 404 (highly recommended filter, but out of my budget at the moment), then a root heater, then some plant ferts. I was even careful to ask for a specific item, not ask 'about' an item, or category, as that usually leads to the salesman recommending the product that makes them more profit. Usually...

Anywho... Better safe than sorry, had he been right and I ignored him, I'd be just as grumpy.

savga said:
Actually, Carib Sea, the makers of EcoComplete Planted Tank substrate DO make a product called EcoComplete African Cichlid substrate which is not for planted tanks. It is supposed to have bacteria, minerals, etc for a healthy rift lake setup. It comes in two grades, fine and coarse.

Yep. I've also got that in my tank. Actually my substrate is a mix of about 50/50 EC Plant Substrate and EC African Cichlid Sand. The Cichlid Sand contains calcium to naturally buffer the water for hardness-loving African cichlids but isn't the best for planted tanks because some plants do not like having their roots in alkaline substrate.

savga said:
Actually, Carib Sea, the makers of EcoComplete Planted Tank substrate DO make a product called EcoComplete African Cichlid substrate which is not for planted tanks. It is supposed to have bacteria, minerals, etc for a healthy rift lake setup. It comes in two grades, fine and coarse. You can check out their complete line at www.carib-sea.com

Ah HA! Finally, we have some clues....

It appears that by Carib Sea's website, The website tells all. And they definately didn't stock what I was looking for. Ah well, as I said before, better safe than sorry.

Toker, you seem to be ignoring the point Svaga made.

The links you provided are not plant substrates, but Cichlid substrates. They will not be the most beneficial substrate for plants.

I think it's a little misleading for Carib-sea to call both substrates "eco-complete", with the sub-label of 'cichlid' or 'plant' substrate.

malkore said:
Toker, you seem to be ignoring the point Svaga made.

The links you provided are not plant substrates, but Cichlid substrates. They will not be the most beneficial substrate for plants.

I think it's a little misleading for Carib-sea to call both substrates "eco-complete", with the sub-label of 'cichlid' or 'plant' substrate.

My humble apologies, as I was responding to your first post on this thread, regarding a single eco-complete, Savga and Travis responded, Savga having the information that was key. So my initial response was prior to the knowledge that there is an Eco-Complete - Plant substrate, and Eco-Complete african cichlid substrate. I can see looking back how my responses could be confusing...

I do now understand that while all 3 products are termed 'Eco Complete', they are not all 3 a plant friendly substrate.

And to follow up, I am thankful that I listened to the salesman's advice and not purchased it (african cichlid substrate), as I would have been just as dissapointed when i learned the full truth. I'm still a bit confused at what he said by it being 'near saltwater' substrate, but I don't know much about the specific differences between FW and SW. Yet at least...

Anywho, looks like I'll be ordering from Big Al's... only $13 or so shipping for 40 lbs worth.

malkore said:

And I totally agree. Me being a rookie in the hobby, got fooled. I just presumed that www.thatpetplace.com just had a more detailed item description. Good thing I went to the store instead of having it shipped. Then I'd REALLY feel silly.

No problem Toker, I just wanted to make sure you saw the difference.
Also, make sure that shipping price from Big Al's is right. Last I heard, they had an additional $5 charge per bag of Eco. So $10 plus normal shipping price. Then again you're a lot closer to them than I am so the base shipping might be way cheaper than what they stick me for.

man, I need some sleep.

malkore said:
Also, make sure that shipping price from Big Al's is right. Last I heard, they had an additional $5 charge per bag of Eco. So $10 plus normal shipping price. Then again you're a lot closer to them than I am so the base shipping might be way cheaper than what they stick me for.

man, I need some sleep.

Thanks for the heads up. I looked again, and after putting 2 bags in my cart it displays a oversize shipping cost and 0 standard shipping cost. I called to verify, and they said its simply this..

So long as you purchase -all- heavy shipping items, there is only the heavy shipping charge.

If I purchased the eco-complete and something for normal shipping, like a test kit... then I'd get standard shipping based on cost (of the standard shipping items) and then the extra charge for the heavy items, based on weight.

So, all in all it seems pretty fair to me. Beat out the two other places i looked at online by $20+...

Anyway...

If I remember right, it costs about $5 per bag since it's considered a "heavy item". When I bought mine, they had it marked down to $15.99, so I paid about $21-22 per bag. I think they have it for &17.99 now. It's still cheaper than my LFS which was selling it for $25 per bag, and they deliver right to your door. All other items that aren't considered heavy items are shipped based on dollar amount sold. I don't think the shipping rate changes on where you live so long as you are in Canada or US.

When in doubt, phone your order in so you can get the shipping price quote before finalizing your order.

Back
Top Bottom