Eek 5 of my 6 Boesemani's are males...can that work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siva

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up 6 Boesemani's last night. I was very happy to see what I thought were 3 males and 3 females...though they are still small, about 1.5" so a little difficult to sex, I thought that is what I saw. Well very quickly after acclimation the look of them changed, and I now have 5 much more colorfish that for the most part all swim together, and one less colorful fish (certainly less indigo on her) that swim's often lower down by herself. Can this ratio possibly work? I don't want to take any back but I also am not going to have room for 4 more females. :ermm:

It'll probably work out so that the males are together and the female will once in a while swim near them but because she's the only one she will be "a loner" so to speak unless the males are feeling frisky :) that's how it's been IME with them

You don't think they will harass her a lot? I could get one more female so she has a girlfriend to hang out with if that will work...

If you can afford another female or 2 without going over ur stocking then by all means get em that will def make her life happier

My 2 full grown are around 4" Ive had then for 1 1/2 years and they haven't gotten bigger but from what I know they can get to 5"

They are pretty thick and round though aren't they? I've never seen one full grown and it pics they look huge!

I guess it depends on the fish cause if I had to guess mine are about 2 1/2" around( the biggest 1) but I've seen them at around 3-3 1/2

OK. Goodness I really can't add anymore. Have you ever kept just males together? I've read it works, what do you think?

Gosh, I couldn't even begin to sex my rainbows. I have a mixture of goyder rivers, turqoise, milleniums, parkisoni, praecox, madagascar, bosemani, and black banded. I know that I have a male and female parkisoni and millenium, but the rest is up in the air. I was told by someone that I had mostly males, but a few females. I've never had any issues. They don't always hang out together, but what fun would that be? I think you'll be just fine.

Oh awesome! So, I'm curious, do you find all of your Boesemani's equally colorful?

I only have 1 bosemani at this point, but I am definitely going to be adding some, as they're one of my favorites. As far as the others, I find them all equally colorful. The only reason I know that I have a male and female of the parkisoni and millenium is because I bought them as breeding pairs that had spawned several times before (though, I'm only going off their word). I do know that one turquoise is a male because of some coloring on his head... but otherwise, they're all equally colorful.

Did you find the Boesemani's to be rather sensitive? I say with concern..lol

Nope, not at all. I got my rainbows when my old LFS went out of business. I wanted them, but he made me take a bunch of other fish too. There were tons of fish in the bags, way too many really. The bosemani has stuck right there with the rest, never shown the first sign of stress. I can't keep angels or apistos alive to save my life, but I've had really good luck with the rainbows. I even had a black banded rainbow jump out of the bucket during my move last weekend, flopping around on the hot concrete. It's just as happy as it can be in the tank right now (Knock on wood).

Oh my..that is a hardy fish! Well I feel better about the rainbows but now I'm worried about the fish I'll be adding with them...I just ordered an apisto from SM and plan adding a couple angels as well so I sure hope I have better luck with them then you have.. :blink:

I'm sure you'll be fine. People say Rams die for no reason, but there are plenty of people on here that have great success. Just keep your water clean :)

Back
Top Bottom