EEL owners I need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasno999

Aquarium Advice FINatic
EEL owners I need help.

I have a zig zag eel and I need help in feeding him. How do you guys and girls go about feeding your eels? What do you feed them and how do you do it.

I know they like live food but I have problems gettign live worms to the eel. When I drop them in the tank they gid themselves into my course gravel. How can I get it so that the worm is not able to escape into the rocky gravel yet give the eel tiem to see it movign so it eats it?

jasno999...

Most of the 'spiny eels' (which includes the zig-zag eel) will happily take frozen bloodworms. Certainly worth a try in your case.

frozen blood worms huh. Ok are those the super small worms???

I can do that. I actually froze the red wigglers and then dropped them in but the fis and eel showed no interest. However I do not see them all this morning so maybe there were eaten or maybe the ybroke up or maybe they are just hidden.

So they will take freeze dried blood worms. I will give that a try. Only problem with that is the other fish in the tank will eat most of the blood worms before they ever get to the bottom of the tank. The cichlids love them.

Not freeze-dried....frozen....there's a dramatic difference. Bloodworms are actually not worms at all....they're the aquatic larvae of a type of fly. Most fish will suck them up like spaghetti!! I don't think I've found a fish yet that wouldn't eat them....from Tiger Barbs to Loaches to Congo Tetras to Bichirs.

Simply thaw the bloodworms out and drop 'em in the tank....at least a few of them should get past your mid-level fish and down to your eel. My bichirs have learned to come to the surface and take them from my fingers and my Tiger Barbs absolutely attack my hands whenever there are bloodworms to be had! The eel, on the other hand, probably won't be as adventuresome.

Ok my problem now is I overfed the tank in the past few days. I have dramatically cut back.

So if I throw in some blood worms the eel will live and be fed?

When it comes to earthworrm chunks are you talkign about live or frozen?

And what do I do with the red willigers that I have. THe only fish that will eat them are my roomates larger cichlids. Mine bite them and put them in their mouth but then spit them out. I think that they are way too chewy for them.

Question is this. IF I take a few and freeze them i nthe freezer can I then drop them in the tank for the eel or do they not like a frozen red wigler? He at a live one one time that I saw. Sucked the whole thing down.

What about red worms?

jasno999 said:
So if I throw in some blood worms the eel will live and be fed?

Should be, yes.

When it comes to earthworrm chunks are you talkign about live or frozen?

Either.

And what do I do with the red willigers that I have. THe only fish that will eat them are my roomates larger cichlids. Mine bite them and put them in their mouth but then spit them out. I think that they are way too chewy for them.

Red wrigglers? Some animals and fish find red wrigglers a bit bitter.

Question is this. IF I take a few and freeze them i nthe freezer can I then drop them in the tank for the eel or do they not like a frozen red wigler? He at a live one one time that I saw. Sucked the whole thing down.

Frozen may work well too...you can only try.

Back
Top Bottom