Eel problems :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nu-Nu the eel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! I have ich in my tank right now and it is just about all gone because my temperature has been at 86 for about a week and a half. My eel doesnt seem to like the high temps and is acting strange.. He was just (standing...idk) straight up and down for a long time... Is he ok???
Thanks!!

I would lower the temps. And the eel should be ok. You could use other products to treat ich other than temp.!

I cant put him in another tank cuz its not cycled :// and well i thought medicine was bad for the fish! :(( u think he will be ok??

The eel should be ok. But medicine can be bad but sometimes it is also the best thing to use!

Ya i have tons of medicine but my brother says not to use it :0! Its called non ich? Or something like that? Im not sure what to do cuz i just found my eel laying in the bushes on te top of my tank so i touched him and he swam away.....

You already know the answer. The water temp is way to freaking high. Take out some water from your tank, put it in a bucket, add some colder dechlorinated water, and drop him in until the water in your tank drops!

Jnthn932 said:
You already know the answer. The water temp is way to freaking high. Take out some water from your tank, put it in a bucket, add some colder dechlorinated water, and drop him in until the water in your tank drops!

What if i drop the temp to 84?? I cant put in te meds ccuz i have plants and the plants will die! :(

Then don't put in the meds until you put the eel in a bucket! He'll survive in a bucket long enough to lower the water temps in your tank.

He seems to be doing much better now.. Its night time now so i think he is more comfortable.. Hopefully hes ok

Ah shoot... Ok well hes moving around alot and seems happy... Idk what to do now. Just wait and see i guess

Ya it really would... Its been that hot for abt 1 1/2 weeks.. If he makes until all of the visable ich is gone i will turn it down to 76

I have a peacock eel (he's 15 inches) in my 115G and always use Kordon's Ich Attack Herbal Formula along with raising my temp to 82.....have always gotten ride of the ich and never lost a fish, even the scaleless ones & my tank is heavily planted as well. His pic is in my Album file in case you'd like to see him better.

It's the safest way I have found to battle ich (I have 6 clown loaches who come down with it from just the slightest stress LOL).

Gook luck!

Attachments

• user29662_pic9212_1297633103_thumb.jpg
    user29662_pic9212_1297633103_thumb.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 82
Wow thats a big eel!! And thank you so much! So i have this other type of stuff called non ich i think? Would that be ok with plants and my fish??

I used Ich Attack product, salt and heat on my Oscar / Bichir Eel tank. Didn't have plants, but it didn't require a bunch of water changes like the big meds do. It's supposed to be some natural stuff that isn't hard on fish. You just simply add it every day for a couple weeks.

Worked well for me.

Since the temp is not good for the eel, I think you will have to try meds. Look for some that are plant safe. If you are concerned, you can use half strength.
Just because you cannot see ich spots does NOT mean the ich is gone. It has multiple lifestages. You need to continue treatment for at least a week after the spots disappear if you don't want it to come back.
Also, if you can't raise the temp to 86 or higher, then IMO don't even bother raising it. The high temp kills the ich, but lower temps don't. So, I just suggest lowering it back down to the normal temp for your tank.
If you think the eel can pull through, then you could continue your present treatment, but it doesn't sound like the eel is doing well. Up to you. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom