Eel requirements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baddog671

Aquarium Advice Activist
Out of curiosity, what would be the requirements on housing an American Eel? :)

Don't know about American eels, most eels get large so a large tank is obviously needed. Next a soft substrate, sand works best. Lastly prepare for live or frozen foods

Don't know about American eels, most eels get large so a large tank is obviously needed. Next a soft substrate, sand works best. Lastly prepare for live or frozen foods

Wiki says that American Eels can get up to 16.5ish pounds, and a few feet long, so big tank is a given.

I was also thinking a sandy bottom with some form of rock structure that could offer a cave as a hiding place.

What fish are used for feeders that are bigger than Rosies?

Mine takes bloodworms, otherwise feeder goldfish are best, but I would look into breeding your own as they can bring lots of diseases into your tank

um american eels are those just found a lot in the ocean or brackish water in the rocks or plants in the shore and they use that for bait to catch stipers so i don't know what in the world you are gooing to do with that but when it gets big just strip its skin cut it in half clean it and fry that dam thing

I fed mine feeder goldfish. I had a tire track not an American. He also liked crickets. Full grown you might be able to feed them pinkies. I never tried that but I think they would eat them.

I also had a small tank of platies and I would feed them to the eel when the tank got too full.

Back
Top Bottom