Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Eels

Saw a lot about eels and I got interested in them! I think I want one. Some questions I have though are...

I only have a 20 or a 10 g. Do you think there are any eels small enough to fit?
What do they get along with?
What do they eat?

Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Peacock eel is the only 1 I can think of that stays quite small, they get around a foot long. My sister has one and she feeds her tank with frozen cubes I think it eats any of them but brine shrimp are the favourite. As far as I know they are not aggressive they are the most peaceful of the 1s that I know ( tire track, fire eel) hope this helps. They are pretty cool fish

Old 07-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, do you think they would fit in any of those tanks? I really wanna get one! I think their cool!(:
Old 07-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How long is your tank? I think it needs to be about 24 inches is the smallest, and I think the 10g will be to small but the 20 will be ok as long as it has enough room.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's a 20 tall, in it I have mollies, platies, frogs (they can be moved to the 10 if they arent compatible) & planning on getting Gournamis. Would it get along with them?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's 24"
Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You may need to change to a tank with a bit more length in the future as it grows but will be fine in there for a while. And I can't see the mollies or platies being a problem, my sis has frogs and they are ok and the gourami I think will be fine but they can be a little aggressive and gouramis like the pearl and opaline get quite big so be careful not to over stock.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Should be fine in there then
Old 07-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I might not be able to, I have a 55 in our garage but my family says it's "too old"? But if he over grows I will try to convince them into letting me set it up. && alright(:
Old 07-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As long as its not over stocked your 20 should be ok anyway, good luck convincing your parents if you need to in future lol
Old 07-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hah okay. & thanks I'll need it!(:
Old 07-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Should be fine in your 20 anyway. Good luck convincing your parents if you want the bigger one in future lol
Old 07-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would suggest khuli loaches for your tanks, they stay small and they look like eels. I have about 9 in my 36 gallon and i love them. They are schooling fish though so you should get around 6.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 150 gallon tank and I too want an eel is a Tire Track too big?? And I did research and read that most people feed their eels worms. Also read they'll eat sinking shrimp pellets. I heard they're great pets, one person said that after his eel got used to him it would wrap around his arm while he was doing water changes. Many can also be handfed! The peacock eels can get up to 14 inches so in a 20 gallon your pushing it. But while he is small he should be fine. But they MUST have a soft substrate preferably sand because they burrow. So if you have gravel I recommend switching before getting one.

EDIT- Fine gravel is just as good as sand but rough gravel can injure them while they are digging.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay. I have softer gravel but I was already planning on putting sand in it I think it would look better & before I get him I need to finish putting in my rocks and new filter so it will be a bit before I can get him.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have a tire track eel he likes live foods but will eat frozen if hungry enough it digs alot so stuff gets knocked over and moved to his decor but there great to have and make sure if you get 1 have a tight lid there the type that want to see whats on the outside of the tank
Old 07-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanimal
I have a 150 gallon tank and I too want an eel is a Tire Track too big?? And I did research and read that most people feed their eels worms. Also read they'll eat sinking shrimp pellets. I heard they're great pets, one person said that after his eel got used to him it would wrap around his arm while he was doing water changes. Many can also be handfed! The peacock eels can get up to 14 inches so in a 20 gallon your pushing it. But while he is small he should be fine. But they MUST have a soft substrate preferably sand because they burrow. So if you have gravel I recommend switching before getting one.

EDIT- Fine gravel is just as good as sand but rough gravel can injure them while they are digging.
Peacock eels in captivity only get to about 10 inches. I had mine in a 29 gallon and IMO, this is the smallest tank I would be comfortable putting one in.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Weather loaches are eel like but I am pretty sure you can't put them in the tank right now.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

why couldnt she put a weather loach in her tank i have 2 and there thriving there 10 inches long got them in with a poly bichrir tire track eel kuhlis and all get along with 1 another with no problems
Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Weather loaches are very social so a group of at least three would be needed. Might be pushing the bioload.

Tags
eel, eels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com