eep!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I pulled out a stingray filter today because it stopped running, I open it up and into my hand falls one of my kuhlis. Guess he got hungry and wanted to clean the inside of the filter. I almost jumped and threw it across the room! Oh, I got the filter running :)

Woo, that would wig me out too! Quite a while ago someone posted about cleaning their filter and a FW millipede-like critter crawled out. Thing was like 5" long and had quite the business end that looked like it could chew your finger off. Apparently they are very common in SW LR and reef setups, but in freshwater not so common. I still get the heeby-jeebeez thinking about that. The member had a short video clip he posted of it moving in a bucket!!!

I assume the loach was dead?

7Enigma said:
Woo, that would wig me out too! Quite a while ago someone posted about cleaning their filter and a FW millipede-like critter crawled out. Thing was like 5" long and had quite the business end that looked like it could chew your finger off. Apparently they are very common in SW LR and reef setups, but in freshwater not so common. I still get the heeby-jeebeez thinking about that. The member had a short video clip he posted of it moving in a bucket!!!

I assume the loach was dead?

LOL something similar happened to me. Except it was some sort of worm. I also took pics and vids of it as well. I'll post it in a new topic later.

Gotta be careful. I believe Kuhlis have a spine above their eye. They are said to be very painful.

mugginns,

When you say spine do you mean similar to a BN pleco? As in its something within the body that they can "shoot" out to defend themselves?

My BN pleco is very docile and I've never had a problem in the tank, but I just recently removed a huge ceramic pot that he lives in and I was scared to death he was going to stab me! 8O

7Enigma said:
mugginns,

When you say spine do you mean similar to a BN pleco? As in its something within the body that they can "shoot" out to defend themselves?

My BN pleco is very docile and I've never had a problem in the tank, but I just recently removed a huge ceramic pot that he lives in and I was scared to death he was going to stab me! 8O

I think most plecos have those spine / thorn / spikes things. These things are new to me, I just got a pair of albino BN plecos about a week ago and I picked one up and I saw these spike things come out. Then while surfing the web I noticed that alot more plecos have these things.

Loaches have tiny, spiny whiskers. Four little things that can get you, and can pop the bag the store puts them in. But they don't shoot out or do anything special.

I think muggins means botia species only. Botia loaches have spines just beneath their eyes which they can retract or shoot out to stab things with. And yes, they can hurt if the botia is big enough! (e.g. a clown loach).
No other species of loach, to my knowledge, have these. It's only botia.

coldmachineUK said:
I think muggins means botia species only. Botia loaches have spines just beneath their eyes which they can retract or shoot out to stab things with. And yes, they can hurt if the botia is big enough! (e.g. a clown loach).
No other species of loach, to my knowledge, have these. It's only botia.

Ah, that sounds EXACTLY like the BN pleco's spines.

Back
Top Bottom