eggcrate....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
sooooooooooooo, I finally got some time to get over to Lowes Hardware for supplies I need for my paludarium, but then I couldn't find the eggcrate. I asked and they directed me to a certain isle but no luck. Nothing. Where is everyone else getting their's? Is there a more specific name to call it/a brandname?? Thanks everyone.

Nicole

Eggcrate is a plastic screen that is used in commercial lighting applications, so it will be found where the large fluorescent ceiling fixtures are.

When I went to get mine, I actually had to get a part number from someone here, then the guys at HD looked it up and found it that way.

Many people use it on the bottom of their tanks to protect the glass from rockwork. You stack your rocks on the eggcrate, then lay your substrate, and it diffuses the weight of the rocks.

You can also use it as a tank lid if you don't want to use glass but you want to keep fish from being able to jump out.

If you can't find eggcrate you can also use 1/4" to 1/2" styrofoam sheets. I used it in my 125G and I've got a couple of chunks of lace rock that easily weight 30-40 pounds sitting on top of it with no problems. Just remember to silicone it to the bottom of the tank before you put water in because it is quite buoyant.

I can't use styrofoam because I am building up land for my paludarium (part land, part water) and it will be holding a lot of weight while also allowing for proper drainage into circulating water to keep water from stagnating and soil from becoming waterlogged.

So, has anyone found this eggcrate in a Lowes Hardware? I do not have a Home Depot anywhere near me because the Lowes Headquarters is about 30 minutes down the road and I guess HD doesn't want to come anywhere near that.

Thanks!

I got mine at Lowes, and surprisingly, it wasn't any where near the lighting isles. If you don't have any luck finding it at the store close to you, I can ride over to the one near me and get an item number for you

yeh, they sent me to the cabinet/storage shelves isle... but I didn't see any eggcrate :? I don't want you to go out of your way to get the item number, but if you have a reason to go to Lowes or are next door and have spare time, that'd be great. Thanks everyone

here at menards its at the ceiling tiles. just go to the lighting section and they usually have eggcrate over some of their lights.. i think

Back
Top Bottom