Eggs laid in aquarium??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keely84

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I'm new to the site as I'm after a little advice after numerous failed Google searches.

My husband has a large tropical tank and it houses 2 angelfish, 1 dwarf pleco, 4 neon tetras and 2 other type of tetras. (We've not long had it and had a small tank before hence not many fish)
The Angelfish have started laying eggs on the filter (2 lots so far) all have been eaten by the parents which I understand is normal to begin with. The last time was a week ago.

Now I have found 3 identical sets of eggs on the glass and they're in a kind of half moon shape. To me they look different to the angel eggs but I could be wrong if they have decided to move them.

We have a couple of unwanted snails and I'm just wondering who produced the eggs if the way they've been Laid sound familiar to anyway at all? My concern is they're snail eggs and I don't want them to over run the tank if they are. Any help would be great.

Hi. Sorry only just figured out how to post a picture using my phone :rolleyes:

It's not a great pic but hopefully you can see beyond the bubbles

Trying to upload anyway..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 85
I really don't know, sorry. I have no idea about snails but they must have got in with the plant we brought.

Thanks for your help and sorry about the picture quality

Last edited by a moderator:
They're pretty much unavoidable in a planted tank. My advise is to start a dwarf puffer tank and feed them the snails.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cant tell from pic but i thought snail eggs were jelly like substance

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

They're pretty much unavoidable in a planted tank. My advise is to start a dwarf puffer tank and feed them the snails.

You don't need or have to start a dwarf puffer tank to get rid of the snails. There are other ways to get rid of them.

Cant tell from pic but i thought snail eggs were jelly like substance

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

These definitely didn't have jelly around them. It's definitely not the tetra's, the only other possibility is their angel eggs and they have been moved, but these were not fertilised if this is the case and it seems a funny shape for those as some were behind a tiny gap behind the filter (not big enough for a fish).

Just hoping the Angels get the hang of parenting soon and that we're not inundated with hundreds of snails in the meantime

You don't need or have to start a dwarf puffer tank to get rid of the snails. There are other ways to get rid of them.

What ways would you recommend? do you know of any non chemical related ways of stopping them getting out of hand?

What ways would you recommend? do you know of any non chemical related ways of stopping them getting out of hand?

There are a few ways to get rid of them. I like dwarf puffers beacuse I think they are neat fish but they aren't for everyon. You can build or buy a snail trap, or you can just crush them against the glass and let the fish eat them. The best way to control them is to not overfeed and to clean up left over food quickly. None of these methods will get rid of them completely, but they should help keep them in check.

Back
Top Bottom