eggs on the glass - do fish lay eggs on glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got home this evening, feeding all the little hungry mouths, and noticed a small cluster of eggs in a corner of the aquarium, about 1-2" above the gravel. Looking around more carefully, I found three other little pods of eggs, two of them at the opposite end of the tank, though all of these collections were all close to the top of the tank. I haven't noticed anybody seeming especially protective of those areas.

The eggs are opaque, about the size of the head of a pin, and in groups of about 5-10 eggs. The only fish I have in my tank that could possibly breed are black skirt tetras, assorted cory cats, or Bolivian rams. Off hand I would think they were snail eggs (especially since the little pods are at opposite ends of the tank) but haven't seen any snails in months and it's probably been about six months since I've added any plants or decor, plus the rams and cories make pretty quick work of snails. Also no new fish acquisitions lately.

So, any guesses as to who these eggs might belong to? I'm still hoping that two of my rams will breed but it doesn't seem very likely that this is from them..

Thanks!

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like the rams. I think it's the Cory cats. As for which cory cats, I couldn't tell you, not sure what Cory cats you actually have. Cories will lay eggs in clumps on the tank wall. They also will most likely eat the eggs.

are they in a half moon shape... or relatively close?

Sorry, do you mean the shape of each little pod/collection of eggs or each individual egg? Each collection is just kind of a spattering, if anything maybe oval in shape - a few at the top and bottom and several clustered in the middle. As for individual egg shape, all appear to be more or less round.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like the rams. I think it's the Cory cats. As for which cory cats, I couldn't tell you, not sure what Cory cats you actually have. Cories will lay eggs in clumps on the tank wall. They also will most likely eat the eggs.

I've really been hoping that the rams would mate but thought that they were probably too smart to spread their eggs at either end of the tank, since I thought they were decent parents. As for cories, I have 2 pandas, 3 peppers and 1 false julii (lost other 2 juliis recently). Is there anything I can do to keep them from eating the eggs? Don't really have a good fry set-up, best I could do would be an uncycled 1gal tank with substrate filtration.

If the one gallon is the best you can do, I would just let this one go. If you really want fry now that the opportunity has arisen, wait until you have a cycled breeding tank ready. The part about it being uncycled bothers me. Fry are in no way hardy, and some cories aren't the hardiest either. They just wouldn't survive the natural cycling of the tank. I hope I have helped.

Wait, do you have plenty of hiding places? If a few fry are truly meant to survive, they will. You may be able to get some to survive. Maybe.

I would just let everything be for this round, and let nature do what nature does. Who knows! You could still have some lil guys in a few days! Keep us posted and keep your eyes peeled! Good luck!

Sigh... Don't we all?

Yeah, as delicate and delicious as they seem to be, it's a wonder they do it in the wild, but maybe that's just a reminder of our inability to re-create nature. . .or maybe I'm just too tired.

Yes, if you do get some little babies, post pics as soon as you can. Can't wait to see what kind they actually are.

If the one gallon is the best you can do, I would just let this one go. If you really want fry now that the opportunity has arisen, wait until you have a cycled breeding tank ready. The part about it being uncycled bothers me. Fry are in no way hardy, and some cories aren't the hardiest either. They just wouldn't survive the natural cycling of the tank. I hope I have helped.

Yeah, that does help, might have saved me from trying to move them and then ultimately poisoning them. I knew I'd have to do a few little water changes every day but that seems like a good way to loose some of them. Do you think the 1gal would suffice if cycled? Unfortunately in my little apartment, that's about the biggest tank I have room to keep up.

Wait, do you have plenty of hiding places? If a few fry are truly meant to survive, they will. You may be able to get some to survive. Maybe.

My tank is kind of jungle-ish so that should work in their favor. I have a bunch of cabomba (sp?) that I'll try to put near the eggs, might shield them a bit. Thoughts on food? The standard seems to be live brine shrimp but I'm kinda worried that squirting those into a few corners of the tank might also attract some of the bigger fish.

Thanks!

It would be worth cycling the little one. Just so you have somewhere to raise the lil guys till they get out of the danger zone.

I would just let everything be for this round, and let nature do what nature does. Who knows! You could still have some lil guys in a few days! Keep us posted and keep your eyes peeled! Good luck!

Thanks, fingers crossed! I'll try to have some food ready, maybe live brine shrimp unless anybody can suggest something that might be better or easier.

Since most of the eggs are close to the top, guess this means I should hold off a bit on water changes, or just make sure to do a few small changes?

Yes, if you do get some little babies, post pics as soon as you can. Can't wait to see what kind they actually are...It would be worth cycling the little one. Just so you have somewhere to raise the lil guys till they get out of the danger zone.

Was lazy and didn't want to mess with taking pictures, transferring, and uploading, but I'll try to get some and see how things progress. Think I've seen where others on the forum have posted pics of baby cories, surprisingly cute!!!

As for the back-up nursery tank, once I get it cycled, can I just feed it a little bit of ammonia each week or is there a better way to keep it cycled?

This is about where my "expertise" ends. I actually have no expertise, I went online. Um... The gallon might work as grow out when it's cycled. I truly don't know that much about fish breeding. I haven't gone down into that dark, dangerous alleyway yet. Someday. Then I'll know more. I'm sorry that I can't really help anymore. I think that if you put enough food to distract the adults, while not overfeeding, it should give you time to try feeding the fry. Again, I'm not a breeder, so this is a guess. I hope this helps, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work. Then come and share how it went. If you get that far. I would also look up the rearing of fry. That should help. The best of luck to you.

I would drop a few fish flakes in the nursery instead of pure ammonia to keep it cycled. It has the same result, but is less expensive and easier, since you can just do it when you feed the other fish.

Back
Top Bottom