eggwhite and aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benchmark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i came across this recipe-

Norbert Flaugger of Casa Maria, Venezuela who, in conversation with Shane Linder passed on this method that works wonders for raising tough fry and acclimatizing picky loricariids.

1. Grind your favourite fish food to bits. You can add any kind of fish food and even ground, dried vegetables.
  2. Separate an egg white from the yolk.
  3. Mix the egg white and fish food.
  4. Paint the resulting mixture on a flat rock or driftwood.
  5. Let it dry rock hard.

my question- wont the egg white quickly contaminate my water?? i am a bit skeptical on how slowly it can hold out before it gets disolved.
has anyone tried using this before?

Well...I've certainly never heard of anything remotely like that before. It's an interesting idea, that's for sure.

One way to test it out would be to make one of these coated rocks, let it harden and everything like the directions say, but rather than putting it in your aquarium, put it just in some random container of water and just watch what happens over the course of a day or two.

yeah , though i definatly wont leave it for up to 24 hrs in my tank, maybe 2-5 hrs for the fish to feed then out again. i can always apply fresh "food paint" to the rock if my fish take to the idea i guess.

It is quite common and as long as you have decent filtration it shouldn't cause any major problems unless you go way overboard upon application. In reef aquaria we tend to do the same, except by making cookies out of Plaster Of Paris.

Back
Top Bottom