eheim 2217 canister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have an enheim canister meant for like a 100gallon tank. I was wondering if I can use it on a 20 or 29 with no real issues. Ive heard of over filtering but is that really a thing?

I could just buy another whisper but then Im stuck with the 2217. I might have a guy who would be interested in buying it off me cheap but If I could use it to also increase the actual water load a bit in a smaller tank it might be worth it. I was wondering on just only putting like half the media in it.

Im trying to reduce my tank footprint around the house. Im also trying to reduce my electrical use so perhaps going to more energy efficient whisper or something smaller would just be better in the end.

Thanks

You could probably use it on your 29 gal. Provided you come up with a way to diffuse the current. I would also keep the the standard load of bio media. I believe Eheim are one of the more energy efficient canisters.

You could probably use it on your 29 gal. Provided you come up with a way to diffuse the current. I would also keep the the standard load of bio media. I believe Eheim are one of the more energy efficient canisters.

I have a pretty good diffusing setup now. I want to use it on a 20 long actually. Honestly I think the heating of the tanks is what eventually kills my power bill. That and the larger lighting of course. I only use LED but still.

Im getting pretty psyced up to do another setup/breakdown but it will be a sad thing to have to give up a few of my fish. I actually set this 55 up for a particular angel fish and now I will have to give him up i the end anyway because he cant go back to anything smaller.

A friend of a friend has like a 100 gallon tank. I was going to offer as many fish to him as he wanted, hopefully he will want my black ghost knife as she is getting big :(.

I just want to reduce everything, its just way to much work for something I barely get to see in the room its in.

Im in debate on either reducing my reef or getting rid of it all together. I want to try reducing it but I just cant beat this hair algae to the point where its completely destroyed my interest in it.

Because its a 20 long you will prefer a larger filter, 20 longs have a lot of real estate to push water around in (lengthwise), so a larger filter will be beneficial.

Eheim products are generally considered high end. Whisper not so much. It's no wonder your heaters work OT.
I see that your home state is CT. Visited there once with my B ball team to play UCONN. Mercy that was a cold road trip.

Eheim products are generally considered high end. Whisper not so much. It's no wonder your heaters work OT.
I see that your home state is CT. Visited there once with my B ball team to play UCONN. Mercy that was a cold road trip.

Yup and we keep our heat low to cut back on bills. It just me and the girlfriend who both work full time. Heating an empty house for a couple thanks alone is a no go.

She hates the idea of losing the 55 but never even goes in the room it's in. She hates the reef but doesn't want me putting the planted back there, lol

I want to do a planted and mini reef side by side

Back
Top Bottom