Eheim 2217 or Fluval 306? Which is the better filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, I need help in deciding which filter is better to buy for a 50g cichlid tank. I'm indecisive between Ehiem 2217 and Fluval 306.
Which is quieter, cleans better, and has a better track record of not leaking or breaking down?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All of my filters are Fluval, apart from the odd o ring and one impeller they have performed virtually flawlessly. I got my first in 2005 and it is still going strong.

I currently own and use fx5, 205, 1+,2+,3+. (9 total, 2 of everything except the 3+)

The 205, now the 206 is the baby version of a 306.

The 306 gets my vote. Eheims are good but I've never owned one, I've seen them in private use and the owners sung praises for them!

Thanks for the input. Hoping someone who has had both brands for many years will be able to respond to thread.

Thanks for the input. Hoping someone who has had both brands for many years will be able to respond to thread.

I own a 2217 and a 205. The fluval is much easier to set up and prime after cleaning. The hose system on the fluval is a nice plug and play style. As far as I can see, the fluval doesn't hold as much media. Also I think there is a design flaw that may have been addressed on the 06 version when the impeller grates as the motor turns on startup which means the impeller could require require regular replacement. I've replaced the impeller once but their was nothing wrong with the old one, I just wanted to service the machine. There is an o ring that requires lubricating every few times you take the lid off. If you don't the oring fails after a while and causes a leak. The ribbed style of the hosing also makes it easier to collect gunk so hide replacement after a while may be recommended.

As for the eihm. Quite basic in design and not as sturdy looking. Hence the 'classic' description. Hosing is see through and excess light can cause algae to accumulate. This can easily be solved though. You get a bunch of hoses and connectors which you have to cut to your own lengths and it's quite a nuisance to set up for the first time if you're not familiar with the concept. You can fit tons of media in it because if it's larger body but this restricts the device from being kept in certain cabinets. Fairly quiet, a good design and kicks out a much higher turnover for the equivalently priced fluval model. Seems to perform quite well. Cleaning is not as cut and dry as the fluval but nothing too difficult.

Hard to say which I would prefer. I like to get more for my money which the ehiem provides. It's design can be quite restricting though and the cleaning takes a little extra thought. Not service the ehiem yet.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It does help. Thank you.
I will be buying an Eheim.

It does help. Thank you.
I will be buying an Eheim.

Good choice. I couldn't say which I prefer. After a few teething problems with the ehiem, I have grown very fond of it.

I'm sure this will be a good investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom