Eheim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering what people put in them as filter media? There's floss and carbon, but since I don't want to constantly change out the carbon should I just use more floss or should I use a different media?

if ya want something that removes ammonia, nitrates, nitrites colors and odors, and makes your water crystal clear, try purigen, its somewhat pricey, but a small batch lasts for 6 months or so

I saw on another forum that some people will use green army men as bio media.

I don't think chemical filtration is needed. All I use is sponges on my 75.

I usually use some sponges on the bottom for mechanical filtration, and some ceramic rings for biological filtration towards the top part.

How big are these ceramic rings? If I use floss and a sponge it doesn't seem like it would take up much space. Would I be using ceramic rings for the rest of the filter?

there about the size of the pretzel snack called " combo's " lol there prolly around 3/4" long by 1/4" wide with a hole drilled through them so water can flow in and around them

where do you suggest adding filter floss in an eheim? I put some in the top of the filter but it later got caught in the fan apparatus.

Ceramic rings range in size. I have some that are the size of a pencil eraser in my AC filters.

I generally go:

carbon on top for 1st week or two (then remove, rinse, save)
pad
balls
pad
rings
pad

That's what came in the kit.

Right now, I still have a dish towel on top of the stack - it removed the last of a euglenoid algae bloom I had.

I think I will be going with the rings unless it costs a lot more. I have one more question, is an Eheim 2215 overkill on a 10 gallon?

Is there someone take to weaken the flow? I don't want to use an hob filter on my planted tank since it outgases the Co2 everytime the water evaporates under the output.

An Eheim 2215 on a 10 gallon is like keeping fish in a perpetual thunderstorm. Unless you're keeping fish that are naturally found in whitewater rapids, you're fish are going to be really stressed out there.

Fishyfanatic said:
I'd go with a smaller canister.

Or you can DIY your own canister filter!!! I am doing this based on instructions off another site and will be adding it to my ten gallon in replacement of my AC HOB. I am siliconing tonight, so I should be able to report on it later this week!

Back
Top Bottom