Eheim Classic canister filter.... wow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am setting up a new tank, and i have had a few different filters (hang on, internal and canisters) in the past 2 years on different tanks. All made some noise to a certain degree, except internals. Nearly all internal brands were silent. But most eBay brand canisters and even an aquaclear hang on made some noise. Especially the eBay canistsrs. Not touching them again. But I have not used an Eheim canister in around 20 years. So I forgot what they were like to use.

Because I am obsessed with filters and clean water, and also cause I have read great reviews on Eheim, I bought an Eheim Classic 2217 and tried it out in basic tap water in the sink to see how it runs.

I could not believe my ears when I turned it on, saw water coming out of the outlet (nice strong flow too, with media inside canister) but could not hear a single noise. It was almost like magic! I dont even remember any vibration noise or anything. I had to check if it was plugged in
This thing is unbelievable.

I think im gonna get rid of all filters and convert to eheim classics in all my tanks. Even on small tanks. The saying is true with you get what you pay for.

I have not tried fluval canisters yet though. They are the only mainstream canister I have not tried yet. I may buy one for fun to try.

But for the moment, Eheim rocks! Dont know how anything can top this.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are fantastic. I've been running 2 on a tank in my bedroom for a few years and they are silent. Still going strong!

Yeah I also like the "no water bypass" and hose taps.
Very nice.

I just set up my 2217 last night and retired my Aqueon. I can not believe how quiet this filter is.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Darkseid, what size is your tank?
I have my Eheim 2217 on 50g. Its not really set up yet though.

Just curious, when you say silent, are you talking dead quiet? I hear a hum from mine which is not distracting, but noticeable when things are quiet in the room. Just didn't know what the expectation was for these. The internal filter I've used in the past was absolutely silent, and that's my only reference because HOBs are a bit louder.

When I tested mine, it was dead silent. I will need to test again to see if there was a hum or not.
Compared to my cheap eBay filter, it was like magic.

When I tested mine, it was dead silent. I will need to test again to see if there was a hum or not.
Compared to my cheap eBay filter, it was like magic.

It's just a light hum as I would expect from a pump, but wasn't sure if mine was louder than others. If I place my hand on the top of the filter, it quiets down significantly but of course comes right back when I let off.

I guess it's hard to really compare because every house/room has a different level of ambient noise. My house gets really quiet when everything is shut down for the evening. In contrast, our previous house had more outside/ambient noise, so I would suspect this would have been a non-issue there. It was actually quite weird when we moved into the new house because it was so dead silent.

Just curious, when you say silent, are you talking dead quiet? I hear a hum from mine which is not distracting, but noticeable when things are quiet in the room. Just didn't know what the expectation was for these. The internal filter I've used in the past was absolutely silent, and that's my only reference because HOBs are a bit louder.

After listening to the racket of my Aqueon and AC 50 for the past 4 years, the 2217 is dead silent lol

My aquarium is in my living room and the filter is set up in the cabinet under it. I'm still running the AC 50 so I won't have a BB crash.

I'll probably end up grabbing another eheim down the road so I can be completely HOB free.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

After listening to the racket of my Aqueon and AC 50 for the past 4 years, the 2217 is dead silent lol

My aquarium is in my living room and the filter is set up in the cabinet under it. I'm still running the AC 50 so I won't have a BB crash.

I'll probably end up grabbing another eheim down the road so I can be completely HOB free.

Oh OK. Mine is out in the open, so that would definitely make it more audible. Still very quiet and not distracting at all.

Sealife did I give a review of this filter? Mine just hums. Nice filter.

I cleaned the fluval 205 and the 2217 the other day and I have to say the 205 is better in that respect even though the classic isn't particularly difficult.

Good all round investment none the less.

Back
Top Bottom