Eheim Ehfisubstrat Biological Filtration Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelf1sh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gal freshwater aquarium, and I use two Ehiem filters - a 2213 and a 2215. When I do a water change (about once a month), I clean one of the filters. Each filter has a mechanical filter (course blue sponge), the biological filters (ehfisubstrat) and then more mechanical filtering (white floss) and then either charcoal or biozyme, etc...

A recent visit to the LFS suggested that I put all of the substrat in the 2213 and then stick to the 2215 for mechanical/chemical filtering and leave the 2213 alone (except maybe a cleaning once every 6 months).

I'm posting here to ask for opinions on this suggestion. Thanks to all!
smile.gif

angelf1sh said:
I have a 75 gal freshwater aquarium, and I use two Ehiem filters - a 2213 and a 2215. When I do a water change (about once a month), I clean one of the filters. Each filter has a mechanical filter (course blue sponge), the biological filters (ehfisubstrat) and then more mechanical filtering (white floss) and then either charcoal or biozyme, etc...

A recent visit to the LFS suggested that I put all of the substrat in the 2213 and then stick to the 2215 for mechanical/chemical filtering and leave the 2213 alone (except maybe a cleaning once every 6 months).

I'm posting here to ask for opinions on this suggestion. Thanks to all!

Welcome to AA! I'm not sure I 100% understand the lfs's recommendation...but I would always make sure to have plenty of mechanical filtration in the same unit as the bio-filter. The bio media is healthiest when it has the cleanest water possible flowing through it. Since it is chemicals (not debris) that you want the bacteria to contact...any lack of mechanical filtration will just lead to dirtier and gunky bio-media that will just require more frequent cleaning.

Good thought Eco- didn't think about the crud being collected in the blue course media(sponge) would provide good filtering of the water before it hits the biomedia. No sense getting the biomedia messy.

Gotta wonder about the LFS sometimes.:lol:

angelf1sh said:
Good thought Eco- didn't think about the crud being collected in the blue course media(sponge) would provide good filtering of the water before it hits the biomedia. No sense getting the biomedia messy.

Gotta wonder about the LFS sometimes.:lol:

My rule of thumb is...whatever they say, I do the opposite, lol.

Back
Top Bottom