Eheim or Rena cannister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
Ok when you first looked at this, I'm sure you are thinking, Eheim of course! But, let me fill you all in first on why I'm asking about these two particular brands.

I am going to buy a cannister filter for my new 55g planted tank sometime this week.

I was recommended the Rena XP3 before because it is a good filter and is fairly inexpensive. Well I was looking at the Drs. Foster and Smith site and the Eheim Classic 2215 is the same price as the XP3. I will be ordering from Drs F&S because of other things I need to buy from there.

The 2215 is rated for 93 gallons. Would it be alright to have it on a 55g? I know overfiltering is better. The XP3 is rated for 175g though.

Which one is quieter? Which one is more efficient? Does anyone have problems with either? Which one do you suggest? Do they come with any media? How hard are they to setup?

Thanks in advance for all my questions. I want to make sure I buy the best one!

I am looking for a filter around $100. Being a college student with only a part time job, I don't have alot to spend. So, please don't recommend a different Eheim that is $200...because I can't spend that much.

When shopping for a cannister filter, you should look at several other features in addition to the flow rate. For instance, how big is the media compartment and how is it divided? Does the filter auto-prime, or do you have to fill the filter and its hoses manually? How easy is it to open without spilling water on the floor?

The Eheim filters are legendary for their long trouble-free performance. I have a 2026 ProII running on my 58 gal and couldn't be happier with it. However, I think you pay a huge premium just for the Eheim name - like buying a BMW where a reliable Honda would do nicely.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the Eheim Classic series lack auto-priming and media baskets. That alone would make me go with the XP3 or a Fluval.

I don't own the Rena XP, but I've generally heard good things about it. I considered the XP2 before I bought my Fluval 304. (The Fluval's media basket configuration seemed to work better for me, AND it came complete with media.) I bought my Fluval 304 for $79 at BigAls a few months ago - Drs F&S were the same price at the time.

I've been very happy with the Fluval 304 I have running on my 29 gal. It's quiet, and filters well. It's rated for aquariums up to 70 gals. I don't think you can go wrong with Fluval or Rena.

You are correct QT. The classic series does not have baskets and it is not self priming. I like it but I do think you are paying a lot because of the name. I like my fluval just as much and it is much easier to maintain.

I own the xp2, and have nothing but good things to say about it. Setup was easy, and maintaince is a breeze, its also very quiet. When I purchased the xp2 (8 mo.ago) I also purchased ceramic rings, and filter floss.

I have no experience with the Eheim brand, but their was a reason I didn't get the classic series model at the time, and I think it was the media baskets. (xp2 has 2, xp3 has 3). also auto primming is a very nice feature.

i have the xp3 on my 75gal and once you get it primed and all the air bubbles out of it the pump is next to silent, one thing about the xp3 is make sure you get the quick disconnect on tightly. i love mine and would buy another when i need one.

actaully some of the new eheim's will hold up to 7.3 liters of media and they come with a heater built in and UV sterilizer built in, but there like 350 bucks

I didn't realize that the Eheim didn't have the media compartments...so that's out. I'm thinking that I will go with the XP3. That's what I was originally going to get.

What do you suggest for the media? I was thinking about getting the bio chem stars and some foam pads. Is that all I need? What else should i get? Should I get the coarse or fine foam...or both?

I have the xp3 and have nothing bad to say... Comes with the spray bar or jet nozzle and an optional flow rate controller. I don't use the flow cont., i use the bar and i drilled 4 more holes in it cause i think i remember it either whistled or flow was too strong; maybe both. 3 baskets with 2 compartements in each - good. nice rubber hoses - good quality and won't kink too easy. in my opinion best value out there... other than maybe the cascade line which i've heard some good things about but not enough people chimed in about them.

What media do you use in your XP3, MazdaMan? I've pretty much decided on the XP3...so now I need to figure out which media to get.

I have both the XP2 and XP3 and love both of them. Maintenance is a breeze, and the auto-priming is very simple. And you can place a decent amount of media in both. As for the XP3 on a 55G, no problem. I ran mine on my 55G until I got my 75G, mainly to get the filter cycled. It worked great....

you can take the carbon out and have 2 empty sets (4 compartments) you can run some extra filter floss, and some biostars and ceramic rings and in the 1 spot left you can either add another particle filter, extra bio material or another fine filter.

Here's what I'm running in my XP3:

Bottom basket: Sponges
Middle basket: Lava granules and ceramic cylinders
Upper basket: Filter floss and the fine filter pads.

That's about all you really need. I don't run carbon of any type unless I'm removing meds from the tank.

Back
Top Bottom