Either I'm going crazy or my fish are!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeviCooper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am done!
Walking past my tank every bloody few minutes just to shout:
'No Gerry'
'Angel leave Bumbelbee alone'
'Plankie don't you dare!!'
'Angel NO!'
'Gerry , I said stop it'

Yup, fish are at war!

I've been reading Game of Thrones and I think it affected my fish.

But seriously now.
My tank has been a peaceful sanctuary until yesterday. )

But since yesterday my fish are chasing each other, but only of their own specie..

My two Phantoms were relatively peaceful until about an hour ago.. they are at each others fins..

My 4 Angels are ganging up (1 of them is chill though)
They gang up and chase one.. but it's never the same ones. Like the two yellow ones will chase one black and then they swop teams...
(I know they get all territorial when they mature)
They even do this shiver, shaking thing..

My two Gouramis.. just urg. One is fat.. I really think so although I read it's not possible, anyways, they keep chasing each other...

My Pleco is chill though... Except when these Gouramis come close.. as if Pleco protects the one...

What the hell is going on in my tank???

This all started yesterday, randomly....

Oh AND, I had two snails.. only two.. moved them into a different tank.. and this morning BAM another new snail?
Where the hell did it come from?? Smaller than the other two so I know I didn't see three snails but it two at a time...

YES! I study my tank... All the time

Last edited by a moderator:
It's weird you post this, as I just noticed for the first time my platy had his tail nipped on. Weather? Time is year maybe?

Also the vibrating thing they do is showing submission I believe. Clowns do the same thing.

If people were to watch a school play ground this closely there would be a lot less offspring....

It's weird you post this, as I just noticed for the first time my platy had his tail nipped on. Weather? Time is year maybe?

Also the vibrating thing they do is showing submission I believe. Clowns do the same thing.
Maybe? I'm new to all of this...

And if it's submission. the one vibrating is the one attacking.. well sometimes.

The more research I do the more I think fish are the most difficult pets ever! No wonder my mum forbid me when I was younger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the water parameters asap. Many times the fish will be very aggressive if the nitrites or nitrates are higher than they should be. When was the last pwc, how much, and testing?

Breeding time perhaps for the Angels. They do that how to pick a mate and breeding site and chase the other away - and it is very irritating. They do not have enough room like if they were in nature to really get away so they constantly have these fights. It is stressful for the fish the Angels and the other fish in the tank don't like getting caught in the middle of it.

Your fish are probably acting strange because they are probably breeding.

I am having the same problem with my Honey Gouramis. My male Goldy has been very interested in the new female I got this weekend, and I keep telling him to give her a chance to settle in.

Angelfish are not there name sake anything but! It looks like its pairing time. The question will be witch angels end up pairing. once you get a pair bond the other angel will have to go. the fighting can get realy brutal. You have to watch. Angels will kill another angel . Once my pair bonded they tried to kill every angel in the tank. that was in a 125.

Angelfish are not there name sake anything but! It looks like its pairing time. The question will be witch angels end up pairing. once you get a pair bond the other angel will have to go. the fighting can get realy brutal. You have to watch. Angels will kill another angel . Once my pair bonded they tried to kill every angel in the tank. that was in a 125.
Idol 1 is 100% correct, watch carefully!

Check the water parameters asap. Many times the fish will be very aggressive if the nitrites or nitrates are higher than they should be. When was the last pwc, how much, and testing?

Breeding time perhaps for the Angels. They do that how to pick a mate and breeding site and chase the other away - and it is very irritating. They do not have enough room like if they were in nature to really get away so they constantly have these fights. It is stressful for the fish the Angels and the other fish in the tank don't like getting caught in the middle of it.
This might get me scolding, but I haven't done any tests. I don't have a kit and I can't afford one now. I do 25% water change every twee weeks and I have a 200litre (55 gallon) tank.

I received this as a very unexpected gift from a family member that moved away.

Thanks, I will keep my eye on them! Got 4 of these buggers

Back
Top Bottom