Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tank of the Month Award

Either my platy is growing slowly, or he stopped growing?

My LFS gave me a platy fry for free when I was starting up my new 2g tank that also was going to house 2 ADFs. Long story short, I hit a learning curve and realized I needed to properly cycle my tank. I exchanged the 2g for a 10g and began a fish-in cycle. The platy and frogs survived a successful cycling that took a LONG time. When I got him in February, he was smaller than a pinky nail. Now that it's been about 5 months, he's a inch. I bought an adult platy, and realized how small he was in comparison. I would've thought he would be full size by now. Any ideas as to what happened? I haven't seen a notable growth in him for a while now.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like the little platy has had a rough road to this point. Compare your little platy' s body proportions to the adult platy. If the little platy s symmetry is similar then he probably is not stunted and will undoubtedly progress.
If you notice that the little platy s eyes look too big for its size and the fins are short in proportion then the fish is probably stunted. Not good.

Don't worry, as long as he is eating things will likely be fine.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Sounds like the little platy has had a rough road to this point. Compare your little platy' s body proportions to the adult platy. If the little platy s symmetry is similar then he probably is not stunted and will undoubtedly progress.

If you notice that the little platy s eyes look too big for its size and the fins are short in proportion then the fish is probably stunted. Not good.

Don't worry, as long as he is eating things will likely be fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1261.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	301400
Here is a photo, I think his symmetry looks pretty good. Thank you! I hope he continues to be healthy
Old 07-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

He looks healthy to me. No worries.

Tags
platy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com