Electric Bill-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to start a 2nd aquarium to separate my goldfish from my tropical fish. I found a 40 gal aquarium that includes everything that I am tempted to buy. When I mentioned this to my roommate her responce was if I get a 2nd aquarium, I should pay more on the electricl bill (which I personally think is rather petty). Anyways, I tried to use the calculator but I don't know the watts of my aquarium now and I won't know the watts of my 2nd one until I get it. Can anyone give me a good estimate?

I have a 29 gal, with a tetra whisper filter, a heater and an under gravel filter system and an air pump. I am assuming the tank that I am getting has the same but is a 40 gal. I turn off the lights at night and my heater turns itself on and off.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a 29 gallon with a tetra whisper filter, and underwater gravel filter and a heater.

Did you try the calculator at this site (top of web page), give you an estimate.

I have a 10 gal (so far) & haven't noticed too much change in my bill (may be around $10/mo).

WHen my 80 gal saltwater tank came online my electric whent up about $30.

Most of the time FW tanks wont affect ya much since you dont run high output lights.

You know, I honestly didn't notice any major increase in my power bill after I set up my 20G. The heater and air pump are on 24/7, and the light I have on a timer that turns it on at 8am and off at 10pm.

Maybe 30 bucks a month (Canadian funds).This is for 3 30 gal tanks and a 5 gal quarantine.No sweat for fresh water setups!Your tank probably will only pull less than 30 watts.Figure a hairdryer pulls 1500 watts!Not that a hairdryer runs 24\7 but you get the idea. :wink:

I guess it must have carried over or something. (The lady that had my apt before us didn't turn off her electricity and we didn't switch it over in our names.. so they got the bill and put it aside and after 4 months we figured out what was going on and paid half of what was owed.) I just thought $200 as opposed to a little less than a $100 sounded weird and my aquarium is the only thing I could think of that I added in the last month

I'm sure mine went up, but I have no idea how much. I'm on a 12 month flat rate program atm. Running 7 tanks, two over them with 300 watt heaters, surely must do something.

I just was talking to a friend about this tonight because my bill was higher than I had expected. :( I guess it might be the tanks.

Speaking for ferret:

Before we started fish, our bill was around $100 a month.

Now, it is around $200 a month with all the fishies and 7 tanks ( and brother in law living with us (and yes, that does add to the money).

We have a flat rate plan through our electric company, and our bill is now $100 which I am sure will go up next year. :roll:

But, I don't think that 1 29 gallon tank would cost $200 alone. Do you have computers, roomates, and other energy hogs?

I never notice any difference in my electric bill. I have three tanks. A 55, a 29 and a 10. The 55 and the 10 are planted, so I keep the light on for 12 hours a day. Last month it was $55 and the month before it was $26. I live by myself though. I bought this condo in April and my highest bill hasn't been more than $60.

Hmm, the other thing that struck me weird is my roommate and I turn off the heat and A/C and open the windows and since we are on the 2nd floor we get heat from the people below us.. so this month we havn't had anything running. So i thought it would be lower.
Hmmm, Im thinking its not my aquarium after what you guys have said about yours

Guys, How much do you pay for 1kwh in your area?
What is the temp difference between the tank and the room temp during winter?
And finally, how much water, in US gal?

This should give us a good idea and might even be able to extrapolate for other people's setup...

Back
Top Bottom