Electric blue jack dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYgiantsRP

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a EBJD about 6 months ago. He/she is no longer with us:(. I had it for over a year and I only grew to about 3". He was extremely easy going, he would just stay at the bottom of the tank and didn't bother anyone else. I had gotten the fish without much research, I was just a newbie then. He did fine, never had any diseases or anything, he has in a 30g tank. So a few questions.

Are they usually that nice?
Why didn't he grow?
Would he be a good fit in my tank?
65g tall with 2 severums, angel, uaru, 4 corys, 4 Congo, tetras, CAE, BN pleco.

I've found that EBJD's are extremely delicate, they often fall prey to internal parasites, something that's harder to see than other diseases with external symptoms like ich, HITH, etc. A good indicator of internal parasites though is long, stringy white poo. Did your EBJD have any of that?

It's not normal for any fish to just stay at the bottom of the tank. A healthy fish should be swimming around the whole tank, exploring at least a little bit.

Temper will usually depend on the size and tank mates. Water quality is important too. I have two EBJD's, one is very mean to smaller fish and the other is very shy. Compared to the regular Jack Dempsey, the EBJD is a bit more timid, but will still fight for it's space if need be. Usually, anyway :)

Again, one of my EBJD's likes to pick on smaller fish, so with those tetras and other smaller fish in your tank, I'm a little unsure. I've heard that severums can get pretty nasty, how big and how's the temperament with yours? I'm just a little concerned if there too bog and pick on your EBJD, the guy might develop something. Again, they're very very fragile and delicate. But very pretty!

Hope this helped :)

I have 2 EBJD's. One is about 6-7" and one is 4".

+1 on the info above. They usually have more issues than regular JD's and typically don't grow to the size of a regular JD. Mine are very even tempered, they leave others alone in the tank (Bichir Eel, Red Tail Shark, Synodontis cat).

3" max definitely meant there was something wrong with him, he was definitely severely stunted and that's probably why he died so early in life.

Your tank seems to be pretty well stocked as it is. You could probably finish off your schools by adding 2 more of your congos and corys.

Back
Top Bottom