Electric blue ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommytron

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've now got 2 fishless tanks instead of one. I was previously thinking of getting a ram for our new 20g high, but now that our 27g hex tank is empty, I think I'd like to put a ram in there instead.

So I've got a couple questions about them

1) Is 24.99 a good price for an electric blue ram?

2) Would my tank (27g hex ~24" tall) be appropriate for an EBR? I read that they need 20g, but I'm not sure about their activity level, and whether they would need more back and forth room than my hex tank provides.

3) I read that they need a cave of some sort--would a densely planted tank work just as well? I have wanted to try building my own rock cave, so this may be the time to try that out. However, I'm worried that because it is such a tall tank, a cave would be too close to the bottom...I don't know, I think I'm overthinking as usual! :rolleyes:

4) What would be some good tank mates for an EBR that would be appropriate for a 27g hex? I really want corydoras, would pygmy or julii corys work? Do they (EBR) get along with tetras or rasboras?

TIA :flowers:

Your tank might be okay. They like to move around a lot. You might be able to try ONE. Might I suggest looking at some dwarf gouramis and smaller fish (tetras, swordtails, etc.) A cory would definitely work. They are a great fish. Peaceful and very cool.

LilBangarang said:
Your tank might be okay. They like to move around a lot. You might be able to try ONE. Might I suggest looking at some dwarf gouramis and smaller fish (tetras, swordtails, etc.) A cory would definitely work. They are a great fish. Peaceful and very cool.

Corys are great, but remember they should really be kept in a group of 5-6. That would take up a good portion of your bioload in a 20 gallon if you wanted other schooling fish.

I don't do gouramis anymore. I've gotten two and they both passed within a month or two of buying them. Thanks for the suggestion though.

If i got any EBR's, I would only get one.

I've already had so many tetras, which is why I was looking for something a bit different. If I did go with an EBR, do you think it would get along with tetras or rasboras? If the consensus is that an EBR is OK for my tank, this is something like what I would want to stock it with:

1 Electric blue ram
10 cochu's blue tetra
6 julii corydoras

OR

1 Bolivian ram
10 Espei rasbora
7 pygmy corydoras

What do you think??

Corys are great, but remember they should really be kept in a group of 5-6. That would take up a good portion of your bioload in a 20 gallon if you wanted other schooling fish.

it's a 27 gallon, and I know that they are shoaling fish.

They've got EBR for $8.99 on Liveaquaria, but obviously you've got to pay shipping there.

the EBR was actually listed as 39.99 on liveaquaria. the german blue was the less expensive one i believe

I honestly don't know how closely the EBR are similar to the GBR, but I'd highly recommend Bolivians over GBR's. Against lots of warnings from other members, my wife talked me into a GBR...he did fantastic for the first week, now he's hiding in the bushes refusing to eat and is in a downward spiral. Apparently, it's just a common thing for them to do good and suddenly die. Hopefully he'll pull through, but I wish I'd gone with a Bolivian.

mommytron said:
it's a 27 gallon, and I know that they are shoaling fish.

the EBR was actually listed as 39.99 on liveaquaria. the german blue was the less expensive one i believe

You're right, when I typed in Electric Blue, it auto dirrected me to the GBR for some reason, my bad.

You're right, when I typed in Electric Blue, it auto dirrected me to the GBR for some reason, my bad.

It's because they are all on the same page... the EBR's are out of stock so you have to click on the button to see the other two (they only have GBR in stock) I just had that same prob ;)

So is liveaquaria's pricing fair? Does that mean 24.99 is a good deal for a EBR? They only had one left at the LFS.... hmmmm

I think I might even like the Bolivians better. I love their coloring. I was actually thinking the EBR for my husband, who is the one who requested something bigger than a tetra (that's all I ever want :lol: what can I say I love tetras!) he loves blue. and I thought some cochu's would look awesome with an EBR.

So do the rams get along with tetras?

I breed EBRs and Gold Rams. I just sold several of them on AB for $20 per pair. They can go for more, especially at LFS and large online stores. I guess they are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them.

They really need a very well established tank, and are very sensitive to water quality. They don't need a ton of swim room, they don't really zoom around too much. You could do corys with them, but I'd only get a small group of dwarf corys, since they'll be occupying the same area as the rams.

mommytron said:
It's because they are all on the same page... the EBR's are out of stock so you have to click on the button to see the other two (they only have GBR in stock) I just had that same prob ;)

So is liveaquaria's pricing fair? Does that mean 24.99 is a good deal for a EBR? They only had one left at the LFS.... hmmmm

I think I might even like the Bolivians better. I love their coloring. I was actually thinking the EBR for my husband, who is the one who requested something bigger than a tetra (that's all I ever want :lol: what can I say I love tetras!) he loves blue. and I thought some cochu's would look awesome with an EBR.

So do the rams get along with tetras?

My GBR got along great with my neons, danios, red eyes and Otos until he became a cave dweller. I know severum mama has some Bolivians. You should contact her. She just got some in that she's QT'ing. I'm gonna get her to hold one for me. Apparently Rams at LFS are seriously over bred and are normally weak stock, hence why mine is doing so poorly.

My GBR got along great with my neons, danios, red eyes and Otos until he became a cave dweller. I know severum mama has some Bolivians. You should contact her. She just got some in that she's QT'ing. I'm gonna get her to hold one for me. Apparently Rams at LFS are seriously over bred and are normally weak stock, hence why mine is doing so poorly.

I'm a little wary of buying from this LFS anyway, it's not my regular one (however it is only 5 miles away while my regular one is 40 miles, lol). I've had great success with fish from my other LFS. I've gotten both cardinals and otos there, which are said to have high die-off rates, with only 2 of my 11 cardinals dying about 1-2 months after purchase (totally random occurrence) and one of my otos dying about 6 months after purchase (again, another random occurrence). So I would definitely give this LFS a shot with a ram before trying to order one (if I can save myself the shipping cost, I'd rather do that)

what do you guys think of my stocking ideas?

1 Electric blue ram
10 cochu's blue tetra
6 julii corydoras

OR

1 Bolivian ram
10 Espei rasbora
7 pygmy corydoras

O sorry my computer was being weird and I didnt think it posted the first time. A ram and a few corys and tetras would be fine. I dont know that much about rasboras but i know that they are related to barbs. Cherry barbs are great in a group of 4 or 5.

well, I would never get only 3 corys. they like to be in shoals of at least 5 or 6 I believe, so I would instead go with a dwarf corydora like pygmy or hasbrosus corys. i've heard Julii corys are a smaller variety as well, which is why I included them in my list.

My lfs is selling electric blue rams for $39.99. I live in NY though, so everything is expensive :)

i have julis and they get 2 inches (by the way and im doing something simmilar with a bolivian or appisto and juli corys in a 29 gallon)

my husband really loves the apistos. i think they're gorgeous--but would be a bit more difficult for us to find. are you adding any schooling fish with the ram/appisto or just the corys?

im adding guppies and a dwarf gourami too. oh and im trying to convince my grandparents to get me an appisto online. haha but it's hard with that darn 29.00 limit plus shipping!

Back
Top Bottom