Electric Blue rams dancing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badfisherman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I may have put this post in the wrong thread, but I really couldn't tell if it should be under sick fish or breeding. That's the reason for this thread.

Feel free to move

Long story short, my Brichardis overbred in my 20g tall tank, so I took them to the local fish store and got three electric blue rams

One of the rams croaked last night (first night)
I suspected gill flukes, but his eyes weren't cloudy and he wasn't flashing.
(It could have been an acclimation issue, the LFS just got them in yesterday and I took them as soon as I got there before they even put them in the tank. My goto guy had them bagged up and ready. Possibly the same bag they came in)

Anyhow, I started observing them today and noticed the male (i think, since he is bigger and a bit of a bully) had massive ich on his fins, so I cranked up the temperature to 86-87 degrees.

The female was very lethargic. And would stay in the corner behind a big rock and only move when the male pushed her with his head.
The male would just dart back and forth in the back of the tank.

As of right now, (a little over 24 hours of being in the tank, they are dancing)
I looked up mating rituals on youtube and have not seen the same behavior.
So perhaps they are sick?

I have attached a video PLEASE WATCH

Do you guys think I should still treat the tank with PraziPro even though i'm not certain they have flukes? Currently the temperature is quite high so I thought maybe after 7 days of heat treatment for ich I should do the 3 weeks of PraziPro (whatever's on the instructions)
I actually have some Brichardi Fry in the tank so I didn't want to hurt their chances of survival with medication - the Rams haven't been able to catch any of them and seemed to have given up

Here's another video

BTW - water parameters are perfect
0 everything
7.6 PH

Oh and I was looking to add one online bought angelfish in a couple weeks from angelmania. I was wondering if I should treat the tank for disease before I place the order (after ich treatment, but before PraziPro) that's if I use PraziPro.

They guarantee disease free fish, I'm just afraid the angelfish would be stressed from shipping and contract some sort of disease from the rams.

Unfortunately I do not own a QT

Thanks for all the future replies!

Weird. It's playing on my end. On my computer and phone. Let me know if it start working for you.

Also If anyone else can't seem to see the video let me know.

I will start a channel on youtube

Was able to see the videos on youtube. I'm not sure which it would be. I'm leaning on mating, but then I think this would have to go to someone who has kept rams.

I don't think it's mating, looks more like 2 males swimming around a new tank?? Can you get better pics? How long have you had them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got them on Tuesday. So today is the 2nd day. They actually stopped freaking out every time I come up to the tank

Pictures below

Attachments

• IMG_7192.JPG
    IMG_7192.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7194.JPG
    IMG_7194.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7197.JPG
    IMG_7197.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7200.JPG
    IMG_7200.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 45
2 healthy looking males.

Lol ok cool. Atleast they're healthy. And not fighting too much!

Seem to be getting along

Should I treat them with Prazipro after inch heat treatment?
I really don't want to hurt the brichardi fry

You treated them for ich?

I'm treating them now. The temperature's at 86-87 degrees
And the water level's low so the HOB can give it some aeration

Out of the three, one of them passed. No cloudy eyes, or flashing, just heavy breathing.
So I don't know if it was ich, gill flukes, or just bad acclimation

But before it passed it kept going up to the surface for air and stayed in a corner, that's why I'm suspecting flukes

But I did notice the large ram had ich on it's fins so i started heat treatment right away

I wouldn't medicate the tank unless you know better what you're up against. The heat is fine, rams like it hot anyways.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't wanna medicate the tank anyway..but I did buy PraziPro last night. Good to have it on hand I guess

Great to have meds on hand! I've used kordon rid ich with great success in the past.. if It gets out of hand. I had a pretty pesky case I guess.

Yeah I may need that. Today's the second day of heat treatment but they're both flashing once in a while. And the big one still has ichy fins.

But then again I remember some people on this forum telling me it could get worse before it gets better. U might've been one of those people. Ur tag name is oddly familiar

Havnt been around much lately but who knows. I had a really bad case with my black neons and electric blue acara, covered in it. I did the recommended dose and it took two treatments to kill it. Didn't lose a single fish. It combats other ailments at the same time. Worth looking into imo. Ebr are pretty fragile fish.

Back
Top Bottom