Electric Catfish and salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PoseidonCichlid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Our recent puffer salinity discussion sparked a comment from a local catfish/cichlid enthusiast I know, I'd love to warn him if his logic is accurate or not or might harm his fish, here's how it goes: since African cichlids like a little salt added to their water, and electric catfish come from the same place as cichlids since they prey on them in the wild, therefore electric catfish would appreciate salt added to their aquariums.

Is the above accurate, half true or completely false? Future cichlid and electric catfish keepers will find your answers very helpful.

Electric Catfish Video

Here is a video of a nice sized electric catfish in of all things a cichlid tank! Notice the friendly warning I gave him in the comments section of the vid's page 3 months ago. I wonder if everyone is still alive in there...

I have an Electric cat I was finally able to purchase this weekend after wanting one for.. a long time. I'm keeping him in his own tank of course.
I believe they're found primarily in the Nile..
And I wonder if that guy with the mixed tank knows they can get over a foot long.

Have you read or heard anything advising adding any salt to his water? Good luck, I find them fascinating too.

I haven't seen anything, or at least I don't remember seeing anything about it. I'll have to look out for it now.

He's a difficult little guy to get a picture of.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422222767413.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422222767413.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom