Elephant Nose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just picked this guy up. Was not planning on getting but seen him and thought he was cool. Please let me know any info you have on them. Thanks!!!
Here he is....ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390237989.663728.jpg

I have an elephant nose, I've had him for 2 years. These guy's aren't easy to keep, mine has his tank (53 gallon) all to himself he won't tolerate any tankmates he just kept attacking them, i even had more elephant's with him but that didn't work. They require sand substrate, a pipe too hide in, mine is fed live bait bloodworm and brine shrimp when the lights go out, in the morning i get up early and feed him frozen bait giving him a few hours before the lights go on. I pwc every 5 days too keep his water pristine. He's 8 inches and 4 inch depth so yeah they get big! He also likes live plants and usually sleeps in them, he's playful as well Lol hope some of this helps.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And you can't use meds when you have these guy's, they don't tolerate copper.

You can't add salt either. Make sure he get's too his food you can either feed by hand or target feed. Keep an eye out for him nipping your fish, mine attacked my other fish so i ended up re homing them hopefully yours behaves itself. They should also be the only bottom feeder in the tank. good luck.

Here's a couple of pics of my guy Gonzo1390247812228.jpg1390247846942.jpg

I don't know much about these guys, but I wanted to say.. They are super adorable looking! I had seen one at the LFS a couple of months ago and I wanted to get him badly, but I figured they get too big. :)

Do they get along with the mollys in your tank?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Update: The little guy made it thru the night and seems to being great. This morning he was swimming around and seemed to be enjoying himself. Thought it was kind of weird that he seem to made friends with my Rainbow Shark. They were swimming together all morning. Is this normal?? And how do you sex this guy or gal ??

They are difficult to sex, even in the wild people have found it impossible to know.

Oh okay. Not that its that big of deal, was just curious. Any more info on these little guys would be great.

I got one for a semi-aggressive SA cichlid tank. It never ate. Flakes, pellets, blood worms, lettuce, baby ghost shrrmp, NOTHING. Needless to say, he didnt last too long.

Back
Top Bottom