Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Elephant Nose ok for my tank?

Hi I have a Fluval Roma 200 which is 53g / 200 litres. Will a Elephant Nose fish be suitable? On some sites I've read a 40g is minimum while on others I've read a 50g is minimum.

Aqadvisor website warns me saying its "not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 30.5 cm."

But with the fact I'm over the minimum 50g I'm now confused.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi I keep elephant nose fish and that size of tank is fine. What other fish do you have?

Old 07-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #3

What size of tank do you have and are they difficult to keep? I'll have..

5 x Boesemani Rainbow fish (they're on order)
1 x Hoplo Catfish
1 x Bristlenose Plec
And the Elephant Nose if I can have it.

I'd like to have 1 Rainbow Shark as well but Aqadvisor says with that my filtration capacity would be 89%, and Aquarium fully stocked at 100%. I'd like to keep the filtration over 100% and the stocking level under 100%.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian79 View Post
What size of tank do you have and are they difficult to keep? I'll have..

5 x Boesemani Rainbow fish (they're on order)
1 x Hoplo Catfish
1 x Bristlenose Plec
And the Elephant Nose if I can have it.

I'd like to have 1 Rainbow Shark as well but Aqadvisor says with that my filtration capacity would be 89%, and Aquarium fully stocked at 100%. I'd like to keep the filtration over 100% and the stocking level under 100%.
Hi
I have a 70gallon. It has my fully grown elephant who is 6yrs old and 5 babies, I'll have to upgrade at some point but they're very slow growers.
I think that elephant nose fish are species only but sometimes it can work but rare lol
They can be difficult to keep but are worth it if you are willing to design the tank out for them.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #5

Ok thanks. I've read that it's advisable to keep one as if more than one the weaker will get picked on.. any truth in that?
Old 07-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I'd definitely only go with the one especially as you'll be adding other fish. Watch too make sure he gets too feed he'll only eat live or frozen. And keep an eye on him bullying other's. If you need any other info just ask.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #7

I see. Will do thanks.

Tags
nose, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com