Embaressing Nitrate Levels - What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been away from home and unable to tend to my tank regularly. I left 2x Clown Loches and 1x Sailfin Pleco in the tank with instructions on how to feed them, but no one to carry out maintenance. The following water parameters resulted: NitrItes 0ppm, Ammonia 0ppm, NitrAtes >200ppm! I've since done a 50% water change which brought NitrAtes down to ~80ppm. Obviously I'd like to get NitrAtes down to 20-40ppm ( I have plants and considering what the fish have tolerated 40ppm doesn't seem cruel) I am considering using Seachem de*nitrate, will this work and will it absorb anything other ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

Last edited:
If your tap water has 0ppm nitrates, every 50% pwc you do will reduce them by 50%. That said, I would slowly do so. People sometimes refer to Old Tank Syndrome (OTS). This is where a tank is established, has high nitrate levels, and the fish get used to it. If you drop them real quick, it takes its toll on the fish and they ultimately die. There's no need, IMO, to get any kind of denitrator or use any chemicals. Water changes and filter cleanings will take care of them. Just wait a couple days and do another 50% pwc. That should get them down to 40ppm. Another 50% after that will get them back down to 20ppm.

The water here is hard as gravel, I use RO water from a local water shop, 10gal. costs $2.50 which is affordable. However, I was pretty concerned with the nitrate level, so when I bought the Nitrate test, I picked up the "de*nitrate." I was about to do some filter maintenance, would it be advisable to use 1/2 the recommended dosage of the Seachem product and do a small PWC? (5gal.~10%)

I wouldn't use it one way or the other, but that's just me. I don't put chemicals in my tank. As I said before, I would do it slowly as to avoid killing your fish. I would wait 2 days or so, then do a 50% pwc, but ultimately it's your choice if you use the de-nitrate stuff.

<nods> I appreciate the info. I am gonna try a small amount of this stuff and continue to water changes. I am planning on leaving it in the Rena for about a week. Thanks.

I tend to agree with Jonathan. I'd bypass the chemicals and just do some water changes to get things back down into range.

Back
Top Bottom