Ember Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xigtc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought 7 Ember Tetras last Friday they seem to have adjusted well. My However I can't get them to really eat anything. I know they need something tiny for there mouths. So I've dried crushed blood worms, flake and a tiny pellet. Only thing they semi eat is my Hikari first bites I use on my Endlers. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Might give those a try. The pellets I got are New Life Spectrum small fish... They go at it but won't eat.

You could try crushing them and adding a drop of garlic juice on the food before you put it in. The little fish can have a hard time with foods.

My chili rasboras seem to like the hikari micro pellets. A little different than the first bites but I am thinking of getting the first bites to try or the frozen baby brine shrimp. They also really like frozen/dried daphnia.

They a little bit of my Hikari first bites lastnight. I ordered some Hikari Micro pellets and I'll give them a try tomorrow night. Tried the crushed with garlic but they avoided it completely.. I also put in some of Almond Leaves because I read they like eating stuff that grows on them... Luckily it was WC night so I got all the extra stuff and my RCS helped some. I also planned to get some Chili Rasbora for another tank so thanks for the food info!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429107437.288793.jpg

Yea those are Dwarf Gourami... It's a 20 L tank I divided up.

+ 1 to the baby brine shrimp to get them going on feeding. Then, you can also try other live foods such as vinegar eels & microworms. If you don't want to get into live foods, you may need to really crush up some high quality flake food into a powder ( as fine as the first bites) so that they can get some good nutrition in what ever they do eat.

Hope this helps (y)

My little ones ate crushed Hikari Micro Bites now called Micro Pellets I think, and some New life with garlic Thera A, and a tiny bit of the First Bites too when I first got my tiny baby "Chilis" and they were very small and couldn't eat the bites.

First Bites goes a LOOOONG way so try using a tooth pick to serve it, not get too much and foul your parameters.

If they were wild caught they might just not be used to our foods.

Vinegar eels might work and baby brine shrimp frozen would be good, again very small so a little goes a long way and you can just cut a piece of the little cube.

edit addition, shaved frozen blood worms or tubifex worms.

Last edited:
I think the smaller nano fish are harder to get to eat because they are so small and tend to eat a lot of zooplankton which isn't the easiest to mimic in a tank. That said I find a variety works best for the chilis for sure- I would guess the embers would fall into the same category just based on size

I'll look into live foods. I understand the benefits in the nutrition just concerned with tank stability. The store I bought them from used an Omega One flake. Thank you all very much!

I also use spirulina flakes and the omega one color plus. I have like 10 different foods between all my tanks and just rotate around. With the nanos I just make sure to crumble it a lot

Got the Hikari micro pellets. The act as if they'll eat it then spit it out... So last resort I guess is the baby brine.

Got the Hikari micro pellets. The act as if they'll eat it then spit it out... So last resort I guess is the baby brine.

Sometimes the pellet is a little hard. I would feed mine hikari first bites and frozen baby brine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I've tried everything yall have suggested and what I found other places. Guess I'll give the baby brine a try. Lol they're eating I know because fish poo is on my sponges. But they're not eating what I give.. So I'm puzzled.

Well I've tried everything yall have suggested and what I found other places. Guess I'll give the baby brine a try. Lol they're eating I know because fish poo is on my sponges. But they're not eating what I give.. So I'm puzzled.

Maybe they ARE eating it only not until after it has had some time to soften in the water?
Just a thought.:whistle:

I have 20 embers in my 65g community. We feed them crushed Omega One flakes (either veggie or whole salmon) and they seem to be taking it well with Angels, Dwarf Gouramis, Rams, and other tetras fighting for food.

So I guess I shouldn't worry.. Well I appreciate the help from everyone!

Back
Top Bottom