Ember Tetras vs Neon Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm trying to make a decision between getting a school of Ember Tetras or Neon Tetras for my 10g Betta tank...
I'm thinking to get 6? Ember's are reddish and I'm thinking the Neons would bring more color and be similar to my betta's coloring (he's in my icon pic) ... What do you think?
I have a reputable supplier who also QT's and is close enough for me to pick up on my own without shipping...

I have embers and love them. I had neons and they wiped out 50% of my community tank population with neon tetra disease. I will never have them again.

Are you sure that your betta wants tankmates?

LyndaB said:
I have embers and love them. I had neons and they wiped out 50% of my community tank population with neon tetra disease. I will never have them again.

Are you sure that your betta wants tankmates?

I tried him with Otos and he was fine... If it doesn't work out I'll move them to my 29g...

So, you think even from a good supplier Neons carry a high risk then and Embers are better choice? They're relatively the same size, right?

Embers are smaller than neons, I think. I absolutely adore my embers.

I wouldn't trust neons no matter who the supplier was, unless you can purchase them from another forum member.

LyndaB said:
Embers are smaller than neons, I think. I absolutely adore my embers.

I wouldn't trust neons no matter who the supplier was, unless you can purchase them from another forum member.

The supplier was highly recommended by JetaJockey... And is the President of Coast Tropical Fish Club here in Southern California.
Has over 50 tanks and is involved on other forums (from what I read on the site).

How small are the Embers?

My betta, Blueberry, loved his neon pals (Apple and Banana) but the neons were lonely without a school so they've been moved to another tank. I put in 6 tiny killifish (he's in a 5gal) and he's happy again.

Back
Top Bottom