Emergency Betta Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I cracked my HM Double Tail Bettas tank tonight, so I moved him to my 55g community tank in one of those breeder boxes (without a lid). All looked well, I planned to go get him a new tank tomorrow. I left the room for about 30 minutes, and when I came back in, the box was slightly sunk at the top, and my peaceful community fish have nearly killed him. I found him floating upside down, every one of his fins are shredded beyond repair. He is still alive, but I dont know what to do.
I pulled him out and put him in a glass pitcher with a little melafix and pimafix. I am not sure if he is "saveable" at this point or if I should just put him out of his pain. I honestly dont know, even if he survives the trauma, if his fins will ever heal well enough for him to swim.

What should I do? i feel so terrible right now and I dont want to make him suffer..........

Do you think he will recover from this?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130808_201124.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130808_201124.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 85
Do you think he will recover from this?

Hard to tell from a picture.. You have to make thay call. I would try to wait it out till morning. Maybe check on him in the middle of the night. I've had to make that decision before. Dont care what anyone thinks. Its not easy. Sorry.

I cracked my HM Double Tail Bettas tank tonight, so I moved him to my 55g community tank in one of those breeder boxes (without a lid). All looked well, I planned to go get him a new tank tomorrow. I left the room for about 30 minutes, and when I came back in, the box was slightly sunk at the top, and my peaceful community fish have nearly killed him. I found him floating upside down, every one of his fins are shredded beyond repair. He is still alive, but I dont know what to do.
I pulled him out and put him in a glass pitcher with a little melafix and pimafix. I am not sure if he is "saveable" at this point or if I should just put him out of his pain. I honestly dont know, even if he survives the trauma, if his fins will ever heal well enough for him to swim.

What should I do? i feel so terrible right now and I dont want to make him suffer..........

Oh that is so sad :( he is beautiful!

I agree, keep him warm and comfy tonight if you can. Try and find clove oil if you have to euthanize him. Health food stores might carry it near you.

I'm so sorry :( hope he pulls though.

Skip the melafix and pimafix. They are potentially dangerous to labyrinth fish. You can find clove oil in most large grocery stores. It's usually sold as a tooth ache relief.

Just keep him comfy and alone. If he survives more than a few days he should be okay and his fins will regrow over time.

How are you doing ?

Back
Top Bottom