Emergency build for Monster Shrimps!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I looked at my tank this evening my heart stopped beating for a moment--
One of my Long-Clawed Shrimps was trying to eat my black Balloon Molly. While the Molly was alive!! I understand that the Molly was feeling a bit poorly recently, but that's not the reason to eat him alive?
That was a bit too much for me so I finally made a decision to move the shrimps to a new tank. Except I had none, and Saturday evening wasn't a best time to buying one-- but we manage to find a 12l plastic one, literally begging a salesman to sale it to us as it was 5 minutes before the store closure :)

So the shrimps have a new home now, unfortunately without any filter just yet, because there was nothing small enough to fit the tank. I will have to buy something first thing tomorrow morning. I got a pad I just took out of the other filter-- I was changing the water earlier today and just changed the white pad I keep extra in my filter. Pure coincidence.

And the moments after I moved the shrimps I observed my tank coming back to life-- I didn't realise how stressed the fishes were because of the shrimps!! I really should be doing this earlier :/

I only hope I didn't stressed my poor shrimps too much! They're sitting in one place for an hour now without a move :( Just hold on till tomorrow my little monsters :)

Attachments

• image-3824153607.jpg
    image-3824153607.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 110
  • image-2030551957.jpg
    image-2030551957.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2559438391.jpg
    image-2559438391.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 129
..and the poor Molly after I saved him :(

Ps. Does the shrimp need the heater or they can go without it?

Attachments

• IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 124
No-one seems to be interested in the fate of my poor fishes :(

Anyway-- This morning I bought a mini-filter for my shrimps and packed it with the pad from the main filter. Tomorrow I think I change the water in the shrimp tank, just in case.
Put the decoration in the tank and the shrimps are now fighting for the territory. I'm not quite sure wether the smaller-one gonna make it... We'll see.
That's it from the front line :)

Scouser said:
Don't know what to add to this but I'm glad you had a quick back up plan!

Well... When I think of it there's not much to add indeed :) :bb:

The bottom line would be that:
A) you never know what's gonna happen in your tank next minute, and
B) your local pet store in 99% of the cases have no clue/don't care* what they're selling, which is sad :(

* delete appropriately

Ps.
I can't find my poor Molly-- looks like it didn't survive after all :(

Awesome emergency tank build. The heater would depend on the ambient temp of your place. Sorry about your Molly.

The thermometer shows between 21 and 22 Celsius, so I guess they're be all right :)

Well you've read my thread about mine, same species as your bigger fella, they don't need heat.. Mine doesn't even change colour without it. Can't say I didn't warn you :p

Back
Top Bottom