Emergency help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,
I have just set up a new tank for fish in cycling. My guppies from my old tank are in a 2.5 halfway filled, and I'm worried. The new tank looks like this ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411851887.545704.jpg even though I rinsed gravel for a long time. Can I put my fish in there? I don't want them dead!

I do have filters running- should I shut them off for a while?

What substrate did you use? Is this dirted?

I would start with a 100% water change and then go from there. When filling up the tank place a large plate on the bottom of the tank and fill it up slowly so you don't disturb the substrate any more.

Not dirted, it's Flourite that i rinsed until water was clear. I did use the plate thing- not sure what it is. I will try a water change. After that will the fish be ok to go in ?

Emerald76

Flourite is awful to clean. It took me over an hour to sufficiently clean a 20lb bag of the stuff which I ended up hating....

But yeah, if the water is reasonably clear then I would say it's okay to add the fish in there as long as you acclimate them to the water first.

You could try running some filter floss on the filter to help clear it up.

Yea, fluorite is a pain.

If I get too much cloudiness after a fill, I just do a few big water changes until it gets to a satisfactory level of clarity. It'll settle eventually.

Ohh man, the flourite blues, i clogged my bath tub drain with that stuff, might I suggest running to petsmart for a 25lb. Bag of nat geo black sand as a cap? Let it settle, Cap it, 2 50% wc's and get it going, kill the filters in the meantime

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay I will try for some sand :) I have it sort of more clear now and running two filters rated for forty gallons each with filter floss in them
Here's a pic- are the fish safe to go in yet? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411857334.183889.jpg
Also I can't get any of my second nature tetra fours to work- impeller issues I think. Tips?

Emerald76

Wow I have no advice on this but at first I saw the pitcher and thought someone dumped koolaid in the tank.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay guys the guppies are starting to look REALLY bad in the 2.5 Can they go in with it looking as above?

How many water changes have you performed since the last pic?
Describe the guppies in the 2.5g. What's wrong with them? What has been done in terms of water maintenance on the 2.5g.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay I did 100% changes and then a fifty percent in the big tank and added two filters with a combined rating of 200 gal and some old filter material. The guppies are turning brownish on the fins and are clenching their fins, and swimming erratically or close to the bottom. I have separated one large female that is being harassed by the males.

Alright les fishe are in the tank! Can't see them too well, hoping for a better view tom. They are swimming well and coloration has improved, no cause for concern! Crossing my fingers for 17 swimming fish tom. as opposed to 17 floating fish. They are playing in the filter outwash and seem happy. Males are flaring their fins and swimming well in the very strong current. Females are dashing around and chasing each other. They are sticking together but they can see the tank about as well as me so I understand their reluctance to move to the inside!

If you want more info on this tank, please go to my thread called "My 33 Gal. Community Tank Log!"

Emerald76

Emerald76

Back
Top Bottom