Emperor Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeutonJon78

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just added some emperor tetras to my tank (1 male, 2 females) with 7 cardinals. THe cardinals would be all the tank before. The emperors like to hide in the back by the heater. But now, the cardinals have made friends with the smallest emperor (just slightly bigger than them) and now all hang out in a clump by the heater.

Plus, the big male emperor is a wuss. It's been like 4 days in the tank, but still afraid on the tank light and when you sit there and watch them, he does this shaking kind of dance like he's trying to scare me away. Strange.

Anyone else had weird behavior with emperors? I'd expect them to be more strong willed than the cardinals.

If they all hang out by the heater that is not a really good sign, they should be swimming through the whole tank. What's the tanks temperature? Is it possible that the emperors you bought were sick? The shaking might be a sign of shock or disease. Did you quaraintine you emperors before you added them to the tank? Probably not, but remember that it's a good idea to own a QT tank.
Keep us posted on their behaviour.

HTH

If they are not sick, maybe they are just getting used to the tank. It took my rummy nose tetras almost a week to get settled in after I put them in my tank. Also, some kinds of tetras prefer to be in a school of 6 or more, and they like a planted tank. Maybe if you add more emperors or add some plants (real or fake) they would be more comfortable. :)

What size tank do you have and how is it decorated? As mentioned above, fish are usually more comfortable in a tank that has plenty of plants (real or fake) and other decorations. Having a place to hide when there is a perceived danger gives them a greater sense of security. According to my reading, this species prefers to swim singly or in pairs instead of in schools like most other tetras. Here is a link to a profile of your fish. I hope it helps.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/emperor.xml

It's a 12g, with plenty of plants. And if I have the light off or aren't sitting to close, he doesn't do the little dance. I'm sure it's a "look how big I am aren't you scared of me dance".

He's been doing it less. Now he just chases everything else around the tank when I through food in. He even scared the color out of the smaller emperor by chasing it around. I thought the small one might be sick or something, but then I saw the big one chase it for abour a 20 seconds straight. It's getting it color back as I have tried to get it some food by placating the big one first.

The temp is 78 degrees, so it's not the heat that the problem. That is just the most shaded portion of the tank. The second the light goes off, everyone comes back out and swims around. The cardinals were fine with the light (although they did like it better when I had water lettuce--they died from too much surface humidity I'm guessing). but now they have a bigger leader to school up with so they just follow the smallest emperor's lead. I'm going to get some floating plants to help block the light out.

What do people think about the number of emperors. I know they are one of the more solidary tetras, but should I have more than 3? I also don't want lots of quarrels. I was going to add a few rummynose or some over small fish to give the school a little more strength, but might forgoe that for like 2 more emperors to put them at peace.

IMO that sounds like a better idea anyway, I don't think you would have room for another school in there. If you want to add fish try a couple more emperors and see what happens. Rummy nose tetras are known to be touchy fish, and they might not work out too well if they are stressed out by the emperors. :D

yeah, I don't "technically" have room for an entire separate school, but I was looking for something that would school with the cardinals. I was surprised to see the cardinals and emperors forming together.

In a 12 gallon , I wouldn't add any more emperor tetras . The males are extremely territorial & will defend their section of the tank . Even the females get aggressive & may eventually start harassing your cardinals when they mature . My fully grown female harasses my rasboras , especially during feeding time . Due to their somewhat agressive behaviour , emperor tetras are better suited to well planted tanks that are 30 gallons & up .

Back
Top Bottom