Empty 55g, what kind of community would you build?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to do a community tank but I'm not sure what to put in there. I want all the fish to get along.

What would you put in a 55 community?

I'm thinkin' rummy's (as many as possible!) some rams (bolivian, bc all my store bought GBRs and gold rams have died) black neon tetras, rasboras, danios... i WANT barbs but not if they are going to kill my other buddies. thanks for the suggestions!

Noah

rummy's are among my favorites, as are the rams. Also consider furcata rainbows, or even dwarf neon rainbows (praecox) too though.

I'm going to go see what the LFS has here, might come home with some rummys.

photoqht.jpg

Love rummys too. Some barbs are good for communities, just not tigers! I also like neons, rosy barbs, zebra danios, redeye tetras, even guppies if you go all male.

No not yet. Is it true you can de-chlorinate by just.....waiting? People in the dart frog world do that, wondered if any fish people did that.

yes and no. if its chlorine yes you can let it sit for 24 hours and the chlorine gasses off or breaks down forgot off hand what right now....

the problem is many water companies have switched to chloramines. chloramines doesnt break down and needs to be treated with something.

If it were me, rather than going for so many different schooling fish, I would plan to just have one or two larger schools. Otherwise, you might be tempted to overstock.

Rams and tetras sound great. I would go with either rummynose or black neon tetras (not both) and then drop either the rasboras or the danios. I've had a great experience with golden barbs. They have been very docile and great about schooling together.

I know the rams will probably hang out on the bottom 1/3 of the tank. Have you thought about any cories or dwarf plecos?

I live the little boraras, you could have a whole bunch!

I'm going to go see what the LFS has here, might come home with some rummys.

photoqht.jpg

I hate to nitpick, but those blocks need to go all the way to the end of the tank and support to the edge of the trim. It looks like all of the trim is not on the blocks. Maybe a thick board on top of the blocks? The tank needs to be evenly supported all the way around or you are asking for problems.....

Back
Top Bottom