End of cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterSean

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think I've finally reached the end of my cycle. I'm about 8 weeks in today, fish in cycle and I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is good or bad.
I tested the water this morning and here is what I got
pH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 1.0
Nitrate 5

Now yesterday my nitrates were around 40 and Nitrites were .25-.50
I've not had any ammonia for about 3 days. I did a 50% WC yesterday and with the Nitrites high this morning I will do one here shortly.

Is this looking ok?

I'm thinking some of my bacteria died off??? Not sure why my nitrites would spike and nitrates would drop in less than 24 hours.

If you're seeing any nitrites, especially that many, then you aren't quite there yet.

As for the nitrAtes I would assume you made a mistake in the test. I.e. not shaking the bottles or the test tube vigorously enough or not long enough. Every time I get a nitrate reading that doesn't make sense I retest and see what it says a second time. It doesn't happen often but it does happen from time to time.

I don't think I made a mistake, I re-tested and got the same results. I DID clean my filter floss yesterday because it was clogged up but I just shook it out in some tank water like I was told so not sure if that hurt or helped. I know it's not quite there but definitely closer!

Your Tank's Chemistry

I think I've finally reached the end of my cycle. I'm about 8 weeks in today, fish in cycle and I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is good or bad.
I tested the water this morning and here is what I got
pH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 1.0
Nitrate 5

Now yesterday my nitrates were around 40 and Nitrites were .25-.50
I've not had any ammonia for about 3 days. I did a 50% WC yesterday and with the Nitrites high this morning I will do one here shortly.

Is this looking ok?

Hello Fresh...

The tank isn't cycled until you have several daily tests that show no trace of ammonia or nitrite. When I cycled my 30 G with fish, I kept the water changes to 25 to 30 percent to sustain the growing bacteria. If you remove too much of the ammonia and nitrite, you'll remove the food source for the bacteria. You want a middle ground, so the fish are relatively safe and the good bacteria have a food source. That's why you use hardy fish. Guppies and Platys for the people who like Livebearers and Rasboras, White Clouds and Zebra Danios for those who prefer egg layers. These fish easily tolerate the less an good water conditions that come with the "Nitrogen Cycle".

Save the large water changes for later when the tank is cycled.

Just one reporter's opinion, though.

B

I am of the opinion that the health of the fish is far more important than finishing the cycle a few days faster. Nitrites are highly toxic to fish and are something that should be removed with extreme prejudice.

Fish In Tank Cycling

I am of the opinion that the health of the fish is far more important than finishing the cycle a few days faster. Nitrites are highly toxic to fish and are something that should be removed with extreme prejudice.

Hello Meb...

You're "preaching to the choir" on the subject of the toxicity of nitrites. I couldn't agree more. However, the fish I listed are more than capable of handling a little less than pure water conditions for the short time it takes to cycle the tank. Provided the waterkeeper uses the fish I suggested and does his or her job by strictly monitoring the water chemistry and removing and replacing the water when needed, the fish will be fine. I've done this with female Guppies, they're my preferred fish. You have the benefit of activity in the tank from the start and in my case, I had fry toward the end of the cycle.

I also suggest the keeper add some floating plants like Pennywort, Anacharis and Hornwort to the tank, they're good water filters and don't leave out a bit of standard aquarium salt. It lessens the toxicity of nitrites and calms the fish by easing the stress on the sensitive gill tissue caused by the presence of traces of ammonia and nitrite in the water.

I'd still pass on the large water changes during this process. The keeper will get plenty of practice doing the much larger changes every week once the tank has settled.

Good talking with you.

B

I've been going 50% WCs the entire time I've been cycling, sometimes back to back as suggested by other members. It seems to make sense to do large changes anytime the levels require it. For example, if I see Nitrites at .50 or greater wouldn't it make sense to do a 50 to get the level to .25 or below?
I am getting so confused as to what to do, there are so many OPINIONS on here!
My white clouds have been going just fine for the last 8 or so weeks so I guess I'm doing something right!
I test everyday, sometime 2 times and I ALWAYS change if the ammonia or nitrites are above .25....ALWAYS! If it's only .25 I do a 10%, if higher I do a 50%

Don't get confused Fresh. You're doing exactly the correct procedure. I especially like the 10% or 50% WC method you do depending on test results. Good job! OS.

Fish In Tank Cycling

I've been going 50% WCs the entire time I've been cycling, sometimes back to back as suggested by other members. It seems to make sense to do large changes anytime the levels require it. For example, if I see Nitrites at .50 or greater wouldn't it make sense to do a 50 to get the level to .25 or below?
I am getting so confused as to what to do, there are so many OPINIONS on here!
My white clouds have been going just fine for the last 8 or so weeks so I guess I'm doing something right!
I test everyday, sometime 2 times and I ALWAYS change if the ammonia or nitrites are above .25....ALWAYS! If it's only .25 I do a 10%, if higher I do a 50%

Hello Fresh...

Have you stopped to consider the length of time it's taken to cycle the tank? Doesn't 8 weeks seem a bit long to you? By removing so much of the ammonia and nitrite, you're essentially starving your good bacteria. That's why you always have higher traces of these forms of nitrogen in the water. There's no bacteria to remove them. Granted, you're keeping your fish in better water conditions, but your tank will be in the "stall" mode for some time. I cycled my 30 G in about a month, because I used good, strong fish that tolerated the short term, less than perfect water conditions. The smaller water changes, 25 percent daily, left a bit of ammonia and nitrite in the water to grow the good bacteria.

Your choice of course, but if the bacteria never develops, there can be no end to your nitrogen cycle.

B

Back
Top Bottom