Endler livebearer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolffish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well about 2 months ago i got endlers from the web site foster and smiths. A few weeks later i found a true strain at my trusted pet store (Cameos) and they looked nothing like my enders from foster and smiths.

So does any body know if the endlers from foster and smiths are a true strain?
So far from what i looked up it has a blue snake skin pattern and from what ive found most blue snake skins are accually guppy\endler hybrids. But they are not as big as guppys.They are the correct size.

I will provide pic as soon as i have the time in my hectic scheduale?
I want to know if it is a pure strain befoe i go and start giving away the fry.

~All answers are appreciated. Thanks!

as far as i know (and i don't know very far) any of the "snake skins" are hybrids. but i havent done any research into it though but they look to much like the snakeskin guppies to me.

Well at least its a good thing the ones i got from foster and smiths were all males and i dont have to guess about the females.

*mumbles*Stupid online petstores.

Oh yeah ill still provide pics just for the heck of it once i get the chance.

Dont worry. i also try to post some of my other endlers. You think you could also see if the peacock endlers are pure?

I think probably 99% of the "Endlers" out there are actually guppy/endler hybrids. Unless you buy them directly from a breeder who has documented the genetic line going all the way back, you can't really be sure. Even though you trust your LFS, their claim (that you bought "pure" Endlers) is only as good as their supply...and if they got them from where they get the rest of their fish (one of those massive fish farms), then I doubt your LFS got a pure strain either. It's possible--just unlikely.

I totally agree with your 99% theory. Luckely my LFS buys them from the breeder directly. Ill just get his phone number and call. And I have a bone to pick with foster and smiths ill probably call them both when i get the chance. Ill get the pics up soon. I just need to find my camra. . . . Now where did i put that thing?

My computer is craping out on me ill try to upload the pics later

some of the endlers i got from foster and smiths =

Attachments

• endler close up C.jpg
    endler close up C.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 127
  • endler close up 2C.jpg
    endler close up 2C.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 99
  • endler close up 3C.jpg
    endler close up 3C.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 112
  • endler close up 4C.jpg
    endler close up 4C.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 128
i think they are all the same endlers but the only diffrence from the others are the fact that the top of the tail and the bottem of the tail are diffrently colered (variations of blue and red-orange).

the front half of the endler looks like the pure line but the tail looks hybridized. i could be wrong though. i am noticing the color patterns changing in mine which are many generations of breeding down the same genetics.

thats a hybrid with out question. i wouldnt go as far to say 99% are hybrids but there are a lot of them out there. there are also a ton of people keeping the pure strains.

2010endlers02.JPG

Now my peacock endlers look almost exacly like that except for a black spot on the base of ther tails.

Ill try to get a pic of them up too.

See mgamer's pic for what they should be; those are 'normal' endlers. Or at least that's what I have here at home... 3 generations worth by now, and they're all the same color. Blue spot at top, no color in the middle of the tail.

Back
Top Bottom